We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Via Ferrata near Como lake

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Via Ferrata near Como lake

Me and my girlfriend are going to Griante by the Como lake for a few days. We're staying from March 27th to April 1st. We're hoping to spend a few days hiking in the area, maybe see a few sights and just have few easy days off. For our treks it would be cool to combine at least one trip with some via ferrata action. I'm having difficulties finding any good information on this topic, specific to the area, in English. As we don't have any equipment we would have to rent gear. We have a rental car at our disposal.

I have seen a few clips on YouTube from a route called Gamma 1, close to Lecco (I believe). A trip like that would be awesome. Basic info like where to park, where to rent gear etc. are a bit hard to get by though. Obviously, I don't read Italian.

I would appreciate any tips as how to find any helpful info, or maybe someone have some experience or knowledge to share directly. Recommendations to other routes in the area are also very welcome.

Also, we have a completely open schedule, so any "off topic" recommendations on things to do in the area would be cool as well. We're both 30ish. Typical tourist sites like gardens and villas are maybe not our cup of tea, but we're open for all sorts of activities, both slow and more action filled.

St Albans, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Via Ferrata near Como lake

I'm sorry I don't know anything about climbing but if you want other stuff to do there is a European U19s football tournament in Como Easter weekend - matches on Friday and Sunday with the final on Monday - there is also a special easter market all weekend in Como.

Nearer to you in Griante is a 1.15hour walk through the mountains to a church called San Martino...all alone on the cliffs above Griante...great little bar in Griante called Vecchia Torre with free WiFi, another bar in Tremezzo hidden up the steps is called Cantina Follie run by a dutch guy, lovely winer cellar and local beers...

Another walk along the lake front mostly is called Greenway del lago which is about 8km, you can do all or part of it...above Ossuccio is a lovely walk up to a church with the 12 stations of the cross all the way up, look up madonna del saccorso..

Have fun!

Edited: 23 March 2013, 21:22
USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Via Ferrata near Como lake

Not sure where this Via Ferrata is, but most of the VF's in the area are high enough to be snow covered. Check to see if they are open.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Via Ferrata near Como lake

The Gamma is one of the most difficult ferratas in Northern Italy (besides not being exactly close to Griante), so I would not recommend it unless you are expert climbers, or you are prepared to hire a mountain guide.

The ferrrata up Mt. Grona above Menaggio is closer and easier - this is the only info in English I could find: rifugiomenaggio.eu/drink/item/rifugio-menagg…

Sorry, I have no idea if there is any shop that rents the equipment locally.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 18:36
Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Via Ferrata near Como lake

You might also try checking with the hostel in Menaggio -- they'll be just down the road from you and are pretty active in organizing activities (www.lakecomohostel.com/climbing.shtml), you could also try to get in touch with a guide for advice or recommendations even if you don't want to hire one (www.mariolaguida.com/Home_en.html). Also found this site: climb-europe.com/RockClimbingItaly/Lake-Como…

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Via Ferrata near Como lake

Thank you all so much for your tips and advices. I'm sure the links and pointers will come in handy. I'm still open for more, but I defiantly have some material to go with now.

6. Re: Via Ferrata near Como lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Como