We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como, Italy

Dix Hills, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Lake Como, Italy

We are a party of 4 adults traveling to Como area late Sept to Early Oct. Looking for apartment rental with something larger than double beds - preferably American queen size or 2 twins per room, and 2 bathrooms. We will not have a car so ease of travel by ferry and train is a must as we plan to visit several of the towns and a day trip to Milan. Does anyone have a recommendation?

1. Re: Lake Como, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 16:35
Italy
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como, Italy

Stay in the centre of the lake, like bellagio : central location, gorgeous views, a lot of service.

In Bellagio Tourist Office web-site www.bellagiolakecomo.com you'll find a lot of vacation rental.

Brezza

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como, Italy

Most sites will also let you set filters for all your requirements: www.airbnb.com, TripAdvisor, www.HomeAway.com, www.VRBO.com, etc. Menaggio, Bellagio or Varenna would all be good choices for ease of transit.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Como, Italy

Hi Breza. I am also planning on going to Como this july. I will be arriving via the train in Como. You suggested staying in Bellagio rather than in Como itself. Why may I ask? If I arrive at the train station how will I get to Bellagio from Como? I will be having luggage. Is there an easy way to get there from the train station?

Please explain why you like Bellagio to stay at rather than Como?

Also I really want to go swiimming. Can one swim in lake Como? Thanks for your help.

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como, Italy

marilynjanis,

Como is a town of 80,000 plus people. So Como is a working city. Whereas the town of Bellagio is there because of the tourist.

Yes it is greatly recommended to stay in the mid-lake area. You can pick other towns but for for a first trip to Lake Como, Bellagio is a fine choice.

From the town of Como the most scenic way to get to Mid-lake is by boat. A fast boat takes one hour. A regular boat (Batello) takes two hours. The slow boat is preferred. The boat ramp is about one kilometer fron San Giovanni station. If your luggage is too much, then a taxi to your door in Bellagio should be 40 to 50 Euro.

You can go swimming in the lake, although you might not want to do so near the town of Como (the lake does not have an outlet for the Como leg). So yes people do go swimming but remember the lake is supplied by snow melt from the Alps and is insanely deep at many points. Be prepared for the water temperature to be somewhat bracing (understatement).

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Como, Italy

marilynjanis,

Como is a town of 80,000 plus people. So Como is a working city. Whereas the town of Bellagio is there because of the tourist.

Yes it is greatly recommended to stay in the mid-lake area. You can pick other towns but for for a first trip to Lake Como, Bellagio is a fine choice.

From the town of Como the most scenic way to get to Mid-lake is by boat. A fast boat takes one hour. A regular boat (Batello) takes two hours. The slow boat is preferred. The boat ramp is about one kilometer fron San Giovanni station. If your luggage is too much, then a taxi to your door in Bellagio should be 40 to 50 Euro.

You can go swimming in the lake, although you might not want to do so near the town of Como (the lake does not have an outlet for the Como leg). So yes people do go swimming but remember the lake is supplied by snow melt from the Alps and is insanely deep at many points. Be prepared for the water temperature to be somewhat bracing (understatement).

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Como, Italy

Thanks for your reply. I heard that staying in Bellagio is very expensive. I need a moderately priced hotel or bed and breakfast. Are there any places like that in Bellagio that you could recommend? The reason I was going to stay in Como was because I thought it might be more affordable. Also the train station is in Como.If I decide on staying in Bellagio would I have to walk a long ways to get to the ferry boat from the train station?

thanks very much for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Como, Italy

"Moderately priced" means different things to different people. How many of you will there be and how much do you intend to spend per night, in euros?

If you stay in Bellagio, take a train to Varenna where there is a downhill walk for the short ferry ride to Bellagio.

9. Re: Lake Como, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Como
Recent Conversations