We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Hi Folks,

We are on the verge of booking an apartment in the Fiumelatte/Pino area just outside Varenna.

Does anyone know exactly how far this is to walk as we would like to walk to Varenna and back for Dinner in the evening, and how safe/well lit is the walk at night.

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,979 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

It's about 2 km or a 20-min.walk (one way). Sorry, I never walked it in the night, so I have no idea as wo whether or not it is well lit (it probably is).

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Hi Ronnie,

We are also staying in an apartment in Fiumelatte for three nights in May. I'm told it's about a 20 minute walk. We are also planning on walking to and from Varenna for dinner. If you return before May 21, please post your experience or email me at debdak@cableone.net. Thanks, Debbie

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Hi Debbie,

We're not going until 7th June, can't wait as I feel like I need a break.

Hope you have a great time and would appreciate it if you could let me know what it's like there.

Thanks

Ronnie

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Okay, Ronnie, will do.

Debbie

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

I have stayed in this area. Twenty minutes if you are on the Lake level of Fiumelatte or Pino but much longer along the winding road if you are up the hillside. There are shortcuts directly down if you are up there but not well lit. Once on the flat the walk is well lit and enjoyable. But be careful of narrowing roads which put pedestrians on the roadway.

There is a local taxi - she lives/ works from the house opposite the Varenna train station. I would say restaurants etc would know her phone number. Walk there and get the taxi home if in any doubt.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

This is great advice. Thanks very much. Debbie

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Agree with debbie,

Thanks for that Rob

Ronnie

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Just returned from our trip to Italy -- 3 days in Varenna, staying in Fiumellate. We walked to and from Varenna every day. A fine 20-minute walk on the road, mostly sideway except right out of Fiumellate, where the road is narrow (as in press up against the building when a car comes whipping by). It's well lit and night and much less traffic then, too.

You'll love it, RonFifi! We sure did.

You can also take the trail above the road, but it is not lit at night and can be a bit strenuous (steep) in parts. Better in daytime.

Don't miss the short hike up to the source of the Fiumellate river. A highlight!

have fun! Debbie

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Ooops, sorry, I meant "Mostly sidewalk" not "mostly sideway" in my last note. Debbie

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Fiumelatte/Pino Area

Thanks for that Debbie, we are now reassured apart from the 'pressed up against a building' part!!

Leave on Saturday and we can't wait. I take it the restaurants are mostly good or better?

Thanks again

Ronnie