We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best side of lake como

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
best side of lake como

we are looking at two apartments on lake como, one in fumillete near varenna and one in lenno. i read that the west side of the lake is near the road and quite noisy. any opinions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best side of lake como

The main road up the east side of the lake is mostly in tunnel and does not go through the waterside villages. The road through the villages carries only local traffic.

The only road up the west side runs near the water and goes through the waterside villages.

Fumillete must be very small: I can't find it on any map, and Google gives zero results. You might do better to stay somewhere a bit larger for access to restaurants.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best side of lake como

Just for another suggestion,

Bellagio is a gorgeous village and well worth visiting, it also has many apartments to rent.

www.bellagioapartments.it

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best side of lake como

Fiumelatte would be a very nice location. Varenna is 1,5 km away and there are 2 pedestrian pathways which will take you from Fiumelatte to downtown Varenna in about 20 minutes for the ferry or restaurants.

With a mid-lake location and good ferry connections, it's easy to get from Varenna to the other towns on the lake. Varenna also is the only town with a train station, so day trips (Milan, even the Bernina Express are all possible).

Vagabonda

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best side of lake como

I'd have to agree with Vagabonda that Fiumelatte might be more convenient as far as trains/day trip to Milan go. I personally like the other branch of the lake more, but I am, admittedly biased by living there (-:

I do remember taking probably the most spectacular hike of my life up the mountain behind Varenna, however, so I don't think you could go too wrong either way. You've narrowed it down to two good choices. I'd compare the two based on how easy it is to get to/from each (by car or whatever method you're planning on using), where you think you might want to spend most of your time doing (villas, cities, lake cruising, etc.), and the general amenities offered.

Good luck & happy planning!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best side of lake como

Small and picture-perfect Varenna is less touristy and crowded with more of a real and local feel. For such a small town, it has an excellent selection of several very good restaurants. It’s peaceful and quiet. It’s also possible to swim in the lake. Varenna has a charming “Passerella” – a lakeside promenade connecting the harbor to the old town. Its medieval town square has four churches. Castello di Vezio is Varenna’s ruined castle sitting on a hill above town.

Varenna:

http://www.varennaitaly.com/english.html

The lakeside gardens of Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero are enchanting.

www.hotelvillacipressi.it/eng/giardini.htm

www.hotelvillacipressi.it/eng/giardini.htm

gardenvisit.com/garden/villa_monastro_garden

Varenna Photos:

…trekearth.com/gallery/…

Vagabonda

6. Re: best side of lake como

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 13:21