We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

My grandmother and I will be arriving in Varenna by train mid-morning, and will spend two nights there. Any suggestions of the highlights of what to best see/do in surrounding Lake Como area from that home-base? Would like to see a couple of the other villages perhaps, and any specific highlights that would be easy to hit in that short of a time frame--nice architecture, art, gardens, etc.

Thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

I can strongly recommend taking the boat to Villa Carlotta - it has it's own stop near Tremezzo.

Both the Villa and the extensive gardens are absolutely gorgeous.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,570 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

Lots of ferries depart from Varenna. See www.navigazionelaghi.it for timetables.

Bellagio is a busy lakeside town with the gardens of the Villa Sebelloni a short alk to the north whilst to the sout the Villa Melzi is a little further away.

Olgiassca at the northern end - about a mile outside is the Abbazia di Piona, founded 11th century with fine Romanesque cloisters of 1252 AD

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,033 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

Varenna is a charming town – Peaceful and quiet, but with a train station, easy connections to Milan, and good ferry service, it’s a very convenient base for exploring Lake Como.

Varenna has a lovely mid-lake location – Visit the other mid-lake towns, Bellagio and Menaggio.

Lake Como’s villas and gardens are especially beautiful!

Lake Como gardens:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k2411…

Varenna has a charming Passerella – A lakeside promenade connecting the harbour to the old town. Its medieval town square has four churches. Castello di Vezio is Varenna’s ruined castle sitting on a hill above town and the lakeside gardens of Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero are enchanting.

Varenna is a mediaeval town with alleys rising from the lake – A fjord, and for a small town offers a surprising good selection of restaurants.

Where to eat:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187837-i2373-k126…

Varenna:

http://www.varennaitaly.com/english.html

Lake Como:

www.frommers.com/destinations/lakecomo/

Enjoy! :-)

Vagabonda

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

Thanks--I'll check out this information! Appreciate it!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

If we only have time to visit one villa in each town, which would you recommend:

Villa Sebelloni or Villa Metzi?

and

Villa Monastero or Villa Cipressi?

If all else is equal, which is the most convenient to get to from the ferry docks? I will be traveling with an older woman in her 80s and have to somewhat consider the ease of getting there for her too.

I think we'll definitely be going to Villa Carlotta. However, I have also read some good things about Villa Balbianello in Lenno. How would you compare that to the others? Unfortunately we can't see it all, so I need to narrow down the list--always the hardest part!!

Thanks!

6. Re: 1 3/4 Days in Varenna--Any Advice on Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:16