We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

Hello - My husband and I are planning to visit Varenna and are considering arriving on a flight that lands at Malpensa at 19:50. We would greatly prefer to go to Varenna that night, rather than stay in Milan. Does anyone have experience traveling to Varenna in the late evening, and do you think this is possible? It looks like the last trains depart Milan's train station at 21:35 and I don't know if we could make it to the train station by bus in time.

I've also considered a company called Fly to Lake (flytolake.com), but would prefer train for budget reasons. Has anyone used this service and is it reputable?

I would appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you!

Melissa

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

It's certainly *possible* in theory to catch that last train out of Milan, but it's not a bet I'd ever make. All it would take is one baggage delay, some confusion navigating your way out of the terminal, or a traffic slowdown, and you'd miss your connection. If you don't wish to stay in Milan overnight and you have the option to arrive earlier in the day, I'd suggest taking it and avoiding the stress and hassle.

Otherwise, I can tell you that Fly to Lake is fairly new (within the last year) and reputable as far as I know (haven't heard anything bad about them and they offer all the necessary credentials & contact info), though I've never personally used it. Keep in mind that they offer their runs on a set schedule, however (last departure from Malpensa leaves at 20.20), and the trip to Varenna apparently takes about two hours. If you want my opinion, once you're spending 100 euro for a "low cost" shuttle for 2 people, you might as well splurge another 60 on a private car service and go direct (BestViaggi.com is a reliable one).

Best of luck!

Kat

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

patandmel,

The bus from airport to Milan central station will be 1 hour (if no traffic jam).

Together with time to clear the custom, flight delay, etc, it's too close for comfort to catch the 21:25 train.

For me, I'll check into a hotel near train station quickly and then took a metro and spend my amazing moment next to the majestic Milan Duomo.

Next day, I'll enjoy my breakfast slowly in hotel and then stroll to the train station for Lake Como.

Von Voyage!

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

Thank you both for your very helpful replies! I had a feeling that it might be a little tight, and based on your advice we definitely won't risk it. We'll either stay in Milan for the night or try to arrive earlier in the day. Many thanks for your help!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

Per the regional public transport timetable, the latest option involves taking the 20:20 bus from MXP, changing to the 21:25 train in Milan. Only doable if you are traveling with no checked luggage and the flight lands on time.

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice everyone. We've decided to take Chris's suggestion and stay the night in Milan to make things easier. Do you know hotels you'd recommend close to the train station or the Duemo? I'm going to be looking for something conveniently located and inexpensive (under 125 euros). Thank you!

6. Re: Feasible to Travel from Malpensa to Varenna in Late Evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:18