We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

The topic pretty much says it - should I drive from Varenna to Venice or take the train via Milan? We're travelling on the last week of April, how is the traffic during weekdays then?

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
935 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

That depends. There is nothing overly intimidating about the drive, but I don't usual recommend a rental car for a first trip to italy.

Do you have a parking space in Varenna?

How may are in your group (is a rental car the best economic choice)?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

Check car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Train to Venice www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

Train will cost €36.75 each. Or maybe €23.75 if you can buy reduced advance purchase Mini tickets from Milan to Venice and buy your ticket from Varenna to Milan separately. And take around four hours.

Car will cost around €50 in fuel and tolls, plus rental costs. And take around four hours driving, plus time for a break half-way, plus time on rental formalities.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 23:18
Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

Thanks guys for your reallllly swift answers. We already have a car & accommodation booked for our party of 4 + infant, so that's not a problem (we're staying actually in Fiumelatte, to be exact). I've been to Italy several times before and drove in number of countries.

What was unknown factor to me was whether we can manage the drive in four hours or are we going to be stuck in traffic somewhere, because of lack of local traffic conditions knowledge.

Now I'll just have to weight the pros and cons of both options. :)

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

If you leave anytime between about 9 and 11 a.m., you should be in good shape, particularly if you go to Bergamo on the blue-signed superstrade, before picking up the autostrada there.

Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

Thanks, I was not aware of this mini ticket option. I'll have to study that. It is a long trip but I guess worth it, even though we can't spare but one day in Venice.

7. Re: From Varenna to Venice by car -- or by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 06:17