We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Region Suggestion

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Region Suggestion

My husband and I are flying into Milan August 31 for 11 day trip to Italy. It will be his first trip to Italy, my first trip to the lake region. We plan to stay in the lake region for 3 nights.

A friend suggested a small town in Lake Lugano as it is not so overrun by tourists. We like to walk, run, hike, shop, eat and drink well.

Varenna looks beautiful but I dont want to be around Rick Steve's travellers while in Europe. Any suggestions as far as which lake and also which town. We are looking for something overlooking the water for accommodations, not too pricey and not mobs of tourist.

We are 40 something no kids.

Thanks

Edited: 21 March 2011, 15:29
Doncaster, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

My favourite non touristy town on the lake is Mandello del Lario - Stunning in a simple way, also a lovely stretch of pebbly beach there. Nearby Lecco whoch also isn't too touristy but a nice big town where you can buy everything and spent some time shopping. Boats run from Lecco to Mandello and up the lake so both are well connected and nearer the airports than the northern areas.

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
945 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

I have heard of Gandria on Lake Lugano. This may be what your friend was talking about.

For Lake Como, I think that the best towns for tourist stays are Bellagio, Varenna and Menaggio. The best shopping will be in Bellagio and Como. The shopping in other towns will not compare. On my second tier of choices would be the towns of Lenno and Tremezzo. There is a 10km walk, the Lake Como 'Greenway'. You might be specifically interested in being near it. There are about a dozen and a half towns on Lake Como where the public boats stop/ call. But beware, some towns have very few boats each day and some (Bellagio) have several dozen per day. Boat service for Mandello mentioned above might be less than great.

You might research the Hotel Garden a 15 minute walk north of Menaggio. It is on the lake, so the walk is level and easy. Very affordable, 1 star. No onsite restaurant though, so you walk to Menaggio.

You might also research the Albergo Lenno.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
161 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

Our experience was that the Swiss Lugano area was much more expensive than the Italian Lake Como area. Both lodging and meals were substantially more. We really liked staying in Varenna. Our hotel two times was Eremo Gaudio, a very interesting hotel, with an unbelivable view. It was a bit basic but the view made up for it. You take two small elevators on a cable (funicular) to get to the upper hotel. We did stay in the upper part of the hotel which is more expensive than the lower. It's about a ten to fifteen minute walk into the main part of the town. The walk from the town to the hotel is uphill. A wonderful day is taking the public ferry to another town or towns on the lake and enjoying the ride and view.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

If you don't want tourists avoid Bellagio, Varenna, Cadenabbia, Tremezzo and Menaggio... all other villages on the lake will work for you. As per the hiking it's simple: you climb far from the lake and youll'find a web of well marked paths leading to isolated mountain huts where you can rest and eat like in the alps.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

I wouldn't let the fact that Rick Steves recommends a town deter you from visiting. My husband and I spent a wonderful 4 days in Varenna and we even stayed at the hotel Rick Steves recommends (not because Rick Steves recommends it...I learned it was so recommended after our room was booked). The town is absolutely delightful and the location is ideal. There is a wonderful ferry system that runs from Bellagio, Mennagio to Varenna and around again. It was convenient to all of Lake Como. One day we took the ferry to Mennagio then took a bus to Lugano for the day. Very easy and very fun! Great hiking in the hills above Veranna and lovely gardens. Just a thought...Moms

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

As someone has already said, if you choose the Swiss side be prepared to pay at least 3 times what you would in Italy, most people stay in Italy and visit the Swiss side.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

Bellagio is my favourite town - whether it has tourists or not...Varenna is also lovely.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

Thank you folks for your feedback.

Any suggestions on hotels? I was looking at the Metropole in Bellagio but with exchange rates, it's on the expensive side. I love the idea of being on the water with lake view. I guess lake side = $$.

9. Re: Lake Region Suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:25