We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about train ticket

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Question about train ticket

I would like to buy the train ticket from Varenna to Milan in advance. Is it okay to catch on a later train if I miss the train I have purchased?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about train ticket

For this train, yes. The Varenna-Milan service is run by local (Regionale) trains that have no seat reservations. Tickets bought in Italy can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased.

Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp your ticket in a machine at the station.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about train ticket

Thank you for your prompt response.

I saw that you mentioned about: "Tickets bought in Italy can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased", how about if I buy the ticket online? Is it the same?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,637 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about train ticket

Regional tickets bought in Italy for this journey are OK for two months until validated then for six hours.

Regional tickets bought online (only possible within one week of travel) are pre-validated for one specific train time and are also OK for four hours after that.

Buy Varenna-Milan in Italy, e.g. from a ticket machine in Milan or any other larger station before you get to Varenna. But probably best not to buy in Varenna, where you must get your ticket from the tobacconist not at the station.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about train ticket

Got it. Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about train ticket

I have to smile over the Varenna train station - when I was there in Sept it was closed, no ticket machine, the two validation machines did not work. I already knew to buy my tickets in Milan for the trip back, and if the validation machines do not work write the date and time on the ticket before boarding.

There was a separate waiting room and train announcements, where the announcer was is a mystery (maybe at some remote place, or automated?). Avoid the WC if you can.

Kind of surprising since this station is very popular for the Milan to Bellagio trip.

I did see people paying for tickets on the train, but would not chance it myself.

Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about train ticket

Can you board this train in Milan at the Central Station? Is there another train that goes to Bellagio from Milan....?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about train ticket

There are no trains to Bellagio. The fastest way of getting from Milan to Bellagio is to take a train from Milan Central to Varenna, then the short ferry trip to Bellagio.

Alternatives are a train from Milan Central to Como San Giovanni, then a bus. Or a train from Milan Cadorna to Como Lago, then either ferry or bus.

United States
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about train ticket

<< But probably best not to buy in Varenna, where you must get your ticket from the tobacconist not at the station.>>

There is also a travel agency close to the train station which sells tickets.

TAB

Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about train ticket

Thanks for the reply and help..... So take train to Varenna and ferry to Bellagio... Are the ferry's hop on and hop off to each stop with one ticket or specific to one stop with one ticket.... Thanks...

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,637 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about train ticket

Depends what sort of ticket you buy navlaghi.it/c_download/cond_trasp_viagg_NLC_…

Get answers to your questions about Varenna