We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Varenna

Malta
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Varenna

Hi

I will be coming over to Varenna from the 5th June to 11th June with my wife and have 5 full days to spend. I was wondering if anyone could help me with an interesting itenary. I like to explore quaint small old villages, see the countryside and browse small shops and do nice restaurants.

My plan up to now is the following.

Wed 5th: Arrive at 3pm and explore Varenna till evening and have a dinner in one of the restaurants (any suggestions?)

Thur 6th: Take traghetto to Bellaggio and explore it and have lunch there. Not sure if I can make Menaggio in the afternoon too.

Fri 7th; Early train from Varenna Esino-Chiavenna-St.Moritz. 2 hours in St. Moritz then bus to village of Zuoz. 1-2 hours there and in the afternoon take the SBB train to see the Bernina pass down to Tirano and back to Varenna

Sat 8th: Early train from Varenna-Esino to Chiavenna and after 1 hour or so go to Soglio, explore it, have lunch and back to Varenna

Sun 9th: No plan, (Trip to Lugano perhaps?)

Mon 10th: No plan

Please can someone fill in the gaps?

Also can anyone advice on best ways to get tickets for the trains and buses required to do these trips as I understand there is no ticket booth in the Varenna Esino train station and am not sure if it is advisable to get them from places like Viaggi del Tivano or other such places since I will need to use both Italian and Swiss trains and buses.

I would also appreciate any advice on restaurants of the locations I mentioned eg Soglio, and Zuoz and any suggestions of visits to other pretty Italian small villages around Varenna. (Last year I went to Lago di Garda and really liked Bardolino and Malcesine)

Thanks a lot in anticipation

Mentioned in this post
Menaggio
Menaggio
Lake Como, Italy
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Varenna

You can get train tickets when visiting other towns around the lake such as Como's train station or from any travel agent showing Trenitalia's logo. The prices are the same. You can also buy tickets from a Tabacchi in Varenna.

Malta
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Varenna

Thanks a lot Jerryott

That should make it easier to manage.

Hereford
Level Contributor
342 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Varenna

Como itself is worth visiting with its Duomo, Churches, lovely central historic area and the lake front plus the funicular upto Brunate, you could have a lovely day there at a relaxing pace.

Dont forget to have time just to take the atmosphere of Lake Como and relax enjoying the views. There is a castle above Varenna which is worth the walk

Mentioned in this post
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Brunate
Brunate
Lake Como, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Varenna

The primary thing you want to do is experience the lake and its scenery. The best way to do this is on the boats/ferries. I recommend that you take a boat trip up one of the lake's three legs. Personally, I think Mid-lake to Como and back is best. You can spend a few hours poking around Como and you get back mid to late in the afternoon. You can do Menaggio and Bellagio in the same day. I would start in Menaggio (10:00 or maybe a little earlier) and look around in Bellagio after lunch. There is a nice little fishing village, Pescallo that you can walk to from Bellagio. Take the walking path and not the road. There is a passenger baot called the mid-lake shuttle. It does an hourly circuit of: Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio, Tremezzo and Lenno. Bellano is an untouristed town near Varenna.

Tour one of the garden or garden/villa combinations that are open to the pulic.

Mentioned in this post
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Menaggio
Menaggio
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Lenno
Lenno
Lake Como, Italy
Bellano
Bellano
Lake Como, Italy
Malta
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Varenna

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice.

Looks like I will have a big choice where to go.

I tried to search for Pescallo on the map but could not find it but I guess I can always ask

Thanks again!

6. Re: Day trips from Varenna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:18