We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Varenna to Venice

new york
Level Contributor
164 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Varenna to Venice

We would like to purchase a round trip train ticket from Varenna to Venice. Can all the tickets we need be purchased in the Varenna tobacco shop or must we get off in Milan (something we hope to avoid)?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,577 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

Purchase from www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag for English then entering Varenna-Esino to Venezia S. Lucia and your 'hour' of departure e.g. '13' for 13.00. To purchase without registration click the 'non sono registrato' button. Fares are cheapest when first released 120 days in advance after which they rise in steps to the Base price which is normally all that's available on the day of travel.

If you wish to buy on the day of travel from the tobacconist, you can only buy to Milano Centrale, where you will have to buy another ticket to Venice, and where you in any case you have to change trains..

There are no round-trip tickets - you are given tickets for separate journeys out-and-back - four tickets in all. Tickets for trains between Milan and Venice include reserved seats and are for a specific train time.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 00:28
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
new york
Level Contributor
164 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I did attempt to book on the website but after I chose NON SONO REGISTRATO and filled in my contact info there was no button to continue, so I just sat there while the 10 minute clock counted down. I will try again layer.

A couple of questions please... Is there a big difference in first and second class on either the Regionale 2557 (Varenna to Milan) or the Frecciabianca 9713 (Milan to Venice)?

If I purchase in advance from here in the US, what would happen if there was a strike?

If I can't purchase online in advance, should I worry there might not be availability on the day of travel when I purchase in Italy? Thank you again for your assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

You fill out the section on contact details. Below is an area where you choose how to pay (credit card), and below that at right is a "Continue" button.

There is little difference between first and second on any train.

Strikes are not common on trains in Italy, and plenty of advance warning is given. Some trains run on all main lines during strikes. If there is a strike, Trenitalia will transfer you to another train or refund your money.

It is very unusual for trains to sell out, but if you buy shortly before travel you will pay the full Base price.

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

I want to add my question to this topic.

We are coming from Milan to Varenna for 3 nights.

On our last day in Varenna we will travel to Venice.

We wanted to leave Varenna later afternoon that day(around 5:00PM), but from the schedule I can see that the last train from Milan Central To Venice is at 12:05 PM.

Is there a train that has such timing?

Please advice.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

You are doing something wrong. The last train on weekdays from Milan to Venice leaves at 21.05.

The Trenitalia web site shows only part of a day's list of trains. To see later trains, you have to click on "Next solution" at bottom right.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,577 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

Or enter the 'hour' at which you wish to travel, e.g. enter '16' for 16.00.

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

I thank you.

8. Re: Train from Varenna to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27