We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Hi We are travelling by train from Milan and would like to stay in Varenna. However the following day we will be going by train into Zurich Swtitzerland.

Our dilemma is this: Are all the train/ferry connections going to work if we stay in Varenna? We cant find the exact station we stop at in Varenna and we're not sure if the ferry and train connections work so that we are not getting the ferry to the station after the train has bolted so to speak!

Can anyone shed any advice on this please?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

The station in Varenna is called Varenna-Esino. It is about 200 metres uphill from the frequent ferry service to Bellagio.

What ferry-train connection are you asking about?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Thanks Sydneynick....we will stay in Varenna one night then we will need to get the train to Zurich. We have heard that the ferry timetables are not always congruent with the trains and therefore we need to be sure we can get the train to Zurich without having to wait all day for a ferry or visa versa. I hope Im explaining myself ok...we just need to have a good connection.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

As additional information we would like to know that we can get a train from Varenna to Zurich Switzerland. Is that possible?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Well, to get to Zurich, you can either take one of the frequent ferries to Varenna, local train to Milan, change to Zurich train; or you can take the longer ferry (or bus) ride to Como and catch the Zurich train there.

There are quite a few trains through Como San Giovanni, so it is not possible to run connecting ferries. See the ferry timetables at http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Hey sydneynick - we are catching train from Venice to Milan - all booked, then Milano Centrale to Varenna Esino regionale - I believe there is no ticket office in Varenna, should we purchase this ticket in Venice? Also am I correct only regionals trains need stamping before boarding, not booked, seated and paid journeys? Is 30 minutes prior to boarding adequate? Thank you.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,009 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Crackers, have you bought a ticket to Zurich yet?

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Hey RojBlake - do you mean for a day trip? We are only in Varenna for 3 nights then down to Monterosso.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Hi guys I'm going to Zurich after Mennagio. Any tips?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,009 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Sorry crackers, I confused you with topdesk. No wonder I couldn;t work it out, must be soem sort of brain freeze!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,009 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milan to Varenna Lake Como by train

Right! Try again! Topdesk, if you want to go to Zurich, as sydneynick says, you have the option of going via Varenna or directly to Como by ferry or bus.

I think my preference would be to take the ferry, as I have always enjoyed cruising on the lake! But to do this, you will have to cehck the timings, as the ferries don't really conenct with anything at Como.

Ther eis also the Bernina Express possibility. This involves the train from Varenna to Tirano, crossing the road to the SBB station, and taking the train from there to Chur. From Chur you can take a Swiss Railways train to Zurich. This option is very scenic, but again times will need to be checked if youw ant to do this route.

My least favourite option would be ferry to Varenna, train to Milano Centrale and then train to Zurich, but it may suit you better.