We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
235 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a one night stay in Varenna this summer during our Italian vacation. We do not have flexibility in our travel date since we are visiting several cities. We want to stay at either the Hotel du Lac or the Royal Victoria. Looking for advice on which to choose; it is our first visit to Varenna. Prices are comparable and both include breakfast.

At the Hotel du Lac no balcony/patio room is available for our date. We were offered a lake view room without a balcony: one of the loft style, 2 story rooms on the fourth floor.

At the Royal Victoria we were offered a newly refurbished lake view room with a large balcony (though I am not sure how private the balcony is).

Is this a clear cut decision...should we choose the Royal Victoria and enjoy the view from our balcony for our only day/night in Varenna? Or, is there something we might be missing at the popular Hotel du Lac that might edge out the Royal Victoria? Are the two hotels comparable or are there differences in comfort, style, or service?

I would greatly appreciate opinions from anyone who lives in Varenna or has stayed at either hotel.

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

At the Royal Victoria: check on which floor the room is.

Rooms on top floor have balconies where you won't see a thing while sitting, only while standing, fence is too high.

We did not like the breakfast at Victoria, it is not well organised. Overall we felt that the Victoria could and should so much better, being such a lovely historic hotel, in such a great location. But it is not bad

We did not stay at the Du Lac, but had lunch here two times. Lunch was very good, with a quiet terrace that offers one of the greatest views on Lake Como. The Hotel looks very clean and stylish, albeit maybe a bit too clean. It has a 'Swiss' feel to it, instead of Italian.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,677 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

I have had the pleasure of staying at the delightful and very Italian Hotel Du Lac!

tripadvisor.com/…49510825

Vagabonda

3. Re: Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 16:39
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,677 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

What isn't Italian about this hotel? Hotel Du Lac is owned by an Italian family with Italian staff in Italy. The style and décor is Italian.

Vagabonda

Edited: 19 June 2014, 14:27
5. Re: Hotel du Lac or Royal Victoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Varenna