We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Kirriemuir, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Hi there, we are a family of 4 ( two teenagers) staying at Garda in July, we have hired a car from Malpensa airport and want to do a little sight seeing. Would love to visit Venice but just wondered, should we take the train or would anyone in the know recommend to drive. Is it very expensive to park? - is parking easy enough to find? My thought is to drive as we would need to park the car at Pershiera anyway ( if that is nearest train station) Any suggestions most welcome.

thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Car parking in Venice www.venicedirectory.com/parking_and_garage/

Advice on ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Train Peschiera del Garda to Venice www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

www.venice-tourism.com

Italy
Level Contributor
39,513 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

The train is the best option for Venice, leave the car at the station.

Kirriemuir, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Thank you very helpful. I'll give it some thought.

Kirriemuir, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Thank you for reply. I'll give it some thought.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

The train is not necessarily the best option. Depends on you personally.

What is good for a single person or a couple isn't necessarily good for a family.

I have been holidaying on Lake Garda (Lazise) for 20 years. In all that time I only took the train once to Venice. All other visits (numerous ones) I drove.

Having 2 kids always swung it the way of the car. Wanted the flexibiltiy.

The costs of the train against driving roughly evens out at 4 people (costs of fuel, Autostrada fees and Parking at the Tronchetto).

This however assumes that you stick to Regional trains.

A regional train costs €9.65 single

A fast Intercity Frecciabianca service costs €23 single

Kids reductions are 4-12 years

www.trenitalia.com for Italian rail info.

Of course one of the underlying benefits is that trains don't get stuck in jams

Mansfield, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

We drove from Sirmione to Mestre and parked at the multistory...5hrs was €10. Bought our train tickets at the news agent stand, that saved waiting in line at the ticket office...return was €2.40 each. One stop to Venice. The water taxi to St Mark's square was €7 each one way (we walked back) with 14 stops so took 45 minutes. As far as navigating went, it went quite smoothly...I drive, my husband navigates just study google maps the night before. IMHO and my family's (19yr old and 21yr old) we preferred Verona to Venice, but I would recommend both if you have the time.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Hi, thank you for posting that information, I am sure it will be very useful to other people wanting to visit Venice by car. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
32 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

it's my same problem we're going with two kids in july and i'm wondering if to go by car or train.most of the parkings are expensive for one day.my Italian frien told me to leave the car in piazzale roma but I saw the prices and are 30 ewro for a day.enjo it i'm very excited!

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

Post 6 above has information about a car park costing €10 and how to get into Venice from there.

10. Re: From Garda to Venice - Drive or Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:18