We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

Really want to stay at Hotel Cannero on the Cannero Riviera just up the side of Maggiore... only issue is I am worried the bus boat service wont be that good as it is not a regular stop. We will want to visit the islands of Maggiore etc. We will have a car so how possible will it be to drive down to say Pallanza, Verbania, park up and the wizz over to the islands etc on the boats?

is driving on those roads around the lakes bad news?

We are going mid September so hopefully not toooo busy.

Any insight really appreciated

Turin, Italy
Destination Expert
for Turin
Level Contributor
577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

Roads are fine around the lake, you won't have any problem driving. For boat services this is the site:

www.navigazionelaghi.it

Check also the dates of your staying as in mid Septeber the timetable change from summer season to winter season.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

Thanks. Just checked and it looks like to changes on 23rd September... the day we leave..so great.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

Really there is a very good boat service from Cannero. There is the 11.10 boat that goes to Stresa stopping at the islands en-route - but if you have the car then fine. September is always an extremely busy month on the lake. Ok, there are less Italians around but loads of English..... most people that come are older and tend to come when the school kids are back at school and the weather isn't too hot ie. september and June

uk
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

With a car you will not have a problem at all.

The ferry landing is right in front of the hotel but as you say they do not run all that frequently and are relatively slow.

To see the islands we drove down to the ferry landing near to the entrance of Villa Tarranto Gardens. There is lots of free parking there and it is easy to pick up a frequent ferry to all three of the islands.

By the way Tarranto Gardens are well worth a look if you are interested in such things.

We liked the Hotel Cannero very much but I would not eat in the hotel at night unless you have booked half board and have to. Plenty of other places in the village. By the way the hotel has IMHO the best breakfast I have had in Italy,! Served on the terrace within touching distance of the ferry landing.

I would recommend a lake view room if you can afford it.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

Thank you so much. Yes I will go ahead with this hotel.... and am loosening the purse strings and going for a junior suite! But still very well priced compared to other areas of Italy.... Can't wait. Thanks for the tips and yes the gardens will be on my list and my other half has already been warned!

What would be your top picks of gardens in the area? ofcourse I imagine one would be on the islands.....

uk
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

We stayed in a junior suite too. I dont think you will be disappointed. Not huge but well decorated and comfortable with super views of the lake.

The islands of Madre and Bella both have lovely gardens. I cant remember visting any other gardens in the area apart from Taranto.

Cannobio is quite a nice small town to the north of Cannero. Lake Orta is worth a trip too.

We have been twice both times in mid July and were surprised how quiet it was. Nowhere was crowded and the roads were empty.

I am sure you will have a great time in September.

By the way the hotel is not the easiest to find. Follow the road down through the village to the lake front then turn left along the narrow promenade. The evening we arrived this was lined with stalls for a craft market and it was a tight sqeeze to get the car through between the stalls and the browsers. The hotel is right at the end. You unload the car and they give you directions to thier car park which is back up in the village.

7. Re: Cannero Riviera, Maggiore - How good is transport connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:20