We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Lake Maggiore

Virginia Water
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Walking around Lake Maggiore

Anyone know what it like to walk along the lake shore is it safe? I read somewhere it had no footpath and you had to walk in the main road

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Lake Maggiore

This is one big Largo and to walk around may take a week........ do you have any particular place .

ie I have walked around stresa and Verbania but no other spots

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Lake Maggiore

You are correct in your assumption. There are a few paths in a number of places bu mostly it is the road. I drove around the lake several years ago from Sesto Calende on the bottom through Locarno Switzerland back down the other side to Arona where I was staying. It is a wonderful drive but not a good walk.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Lake Maggiore

No it isn't safe as there are very few pavements. The longest lakeside walks (paved) are in stresa and from Pallanza to Villa Taranto.

4. Re: Walking around Lake Maggiore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 20:16