We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Lake Maggiore

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Lake Maggiore

Hello friends,

I honestly don't know where to begin, but I'll give it a try. My husband and I are scheduled to go on a Rhine river cruise in Sept/Oct of 2015....Basel to Amsterdam. Initially I was focused on spending time in the Alsace region, prior to our cruise. Then, I happened upon the beautiful Lake District, specifically Lake Maggiore. It was love at first sight! Since then I have been scouring this forum and all related forums, trying to absorb every bit of information I could find.

Thanks to the wonderful questions and your brilliant responses, I have a list of desired places we would like to visit......we even have hotels picked out. The problem is that I can't come up with the most advantageous itinerary. Based on this forum, it seems that train and bus travel, plus a car rental, perhaps in Stresa, might be our best option.

We are planning a week to a week and a half for this pre-cruise adventure. Three nights are planned in Locarno, Switzerland at Villa Orselina, most likely on the end portion. Here is a list our most favorite picks. I realize that it would be unwise to constantly move around in order to spend a few nights in each lovely little town. Which ones would be the best to stay in and which ones would be best for day trips? Please comment on what you would consider the best way to do this. They are in no particular order.

Stresa - La Luna del Porto

Orta San GIULIO - B & B Al Dom

Cannero Riviera - Hotel Cannero

Connobio - ?

Pallanza Verbania - Grand Hotel Majestic

Thank you all so very much for the time and expertise you have given, helping a dream come true for people like me.

Grazie,

Mia

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Locarno
Locarno
Lake Maggiore, Switzerland
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Province of Novara, Italy
Dom
Dom
589 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Isola Madre
Historic Sites, Islands
Rocca di Angera
Castles, Children's Museums, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Rocca di Angera
Points of Interest & Landmarks
1. Re: Visiting Lake Maggiore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:17