We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stera to Milano by train

Athens
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Stera to Milano by train

Dear Stresa (local expert),

We have already booked for a 3rd visit to your beautiful town in late April 08. I hope this time we'll meet you and we 'll have a dinner at pesciolino rosso.

Plz advise me about the timetable of train from Stresa to Milan and return and the cost of the ticket for adults and kids.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stera to Milano by train

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html has all the timetables.

Click on 'buy' to view the respective fare -- different categories of trains have different prices.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stera to Milano by train

Hi Ilias,

Glad to hear you are coming back again.

I would take the 10.31 train arriving milan central at 11.35 - (unfortunately they have done away with the earlier train) As you are a family you can get the family ticket - On this train above for example it will cost you (2 adults & 2 Children) €30.60 one way.

I'd probably come back on: 18.25 arrives Stresa 19.20

or

19:20

MI C.LE 20:24

STRESA

or

19:25

MI C.LE 20:33

STRESA

I would allow about €65 for return ticket 2 adults & 2 kids.

Athens
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stera to Milano by train

Dear friends, thank you for your advises. Actually it's cheapest if i use my car. I have been in Milano's downtown only once 12 years ago and as far as i remember it has a lot of jam. Is it convinient to use a car in Milano or is it better to choose the train although it is more expensive?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stera to Milano by train

I don't know where the Stresa expert found those fares -- per the Trenitalia website, a one way fare on a regional ("R") train from Stresa to Milan is 4.70 euro per adult or 2.35 per child (from 2 to 12).

So assuming you are 2 adult and 2 children, that makes a grand total of 28.20 euro round trip, if my math is right, which sounds like a bargain to me, with petrol prices around 1.40 euro per liter!

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stera to Milano by train

I got those prices by looking at Trenitalia...where else do you think I would get them - certainly didn't make them up!

I couldn't get a price for a 'R' train - as you will see - their site doesn't allow pricing on line for this train.

Also most of trains Stresa to Milan are EC o CIS.

Really don't feel I need to further explain.

Ilias - I wouldn't take the car into Milan. Go by train.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stera to Milano by train

Stresa, I did mean to imply any thrashing, I thought perhaps you had looked at RailEurope or some other website that sells train tickets at a mark-up.

To see fares for 'R' trains on the Trenitalia website all you have to do is click on 'buy' (you can now even get e-tickets for 'R' trains, although with different rules), and there are 'R' trains on the Domodossola/Milan route almost every hour, which take between 75 and 90 minutes (as opposed to 65 minutes on IC/EC trains). So no need to splurge on such a short ride...

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stera to Milano by train

Sorry, I obviously meant " I did NOT mean....." .....

Athens
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stera to Milano by train

Which is the difference between "R" and "EC" or "Cis" trains?

Athens
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stera to Milano by train

Stresa has right. Family ticket's oneway fare is actually 30,60 euros with an EC train. Which is the fare with an "R" train? I cannot find it in Trainitalia's site. Is it lower? And why an "R" tichet's fare is cheapest? Is is because the train stops in every station.? I saw there is an "R" train from Stresa at 07:23 which arrives at 08:35

in MI P.GA (Length of Journey: 01:12). Don't you suggest me to pick up this train? And what is the difference between MI P.GA and MI C.LE?

10. Re: Stera to Milano by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Stresa
Recent Conversations