We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

Which Stresa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

I have read that there is a hydrofoil from Stresa to Locarno but can't find any information on it. Can anyone direct me to a site or tell me anything about it? How long does the trip take? Does it only run once a day? How much time would we have in Locarno if we wanted to go for one day?

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

Here are the details:

Stresa --> Locarno Locarno-->Stresa

09.30 11.15 17.15 18.40

The hydrofoil goes twice a week on a Wednesday and Sunday only.

The following is the slow boat which runs fri/sat/sun only until 28/5 then daily except wednesday from 2/6

Stresa-->Locarno Locarno-->Stresa

11.40 14.35 16.15 19.00

I would personally do the lake maggiore express trip - you go from stresa by train to domodossola, then get on the narrow gauge train that goes through the painter's valley that take you to Locarno. Then boat back from Locarno.

Details:

Stresa 10.21

domodossola 11.10

domodossola 11.40

locarno 13.25

locarno 16.15

stresa 19.00

This runs the same days as the slow boat above

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

Stresa,

Thank you sooo much for the information. I checked out the Maggiore Express trip that you suggested and it looks fantastic! Seems to be much more scenic than the boat. You seem to have access to so much information, I'd like to ask you a couple more questions.

1. You got me investigating that trip on the internet and I read that a Lago Maggiore Express ticket can be purchased with which the return trip is via boat. That would seem to be the best of both worlds. What I read was a round trip beginning in Locarno and going to Stresa. Does this trip exist in reverse? That is, train to Locarno and boat back to Stresa?

2. Can we make reservations in advance? How?

Thanks again.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

Oldmubs,

The details I gave you ARE for the trip FROM Stresa to Locarno by train and then back by boat! Here they are again.

Train from Stresa @ 10.21

Arrive Domodossola @ 11.10

Change train to narrow gauge in Domodossola (same train station)

Leave Domodossola for Locarno by train @ 11.40

Arrive Locarno @ 13.25

Boat Leaves Locarno @ 16.15

Arrives in Stresa @ 19.00

Round trip costs €28.00

No, you cannot book in advance. You get tickets at train station or travel agent in Stresa the day before.

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

Hi Stresa,

Sorry for making you repeat. I had been thinking of something I saw on the internet. I believe I'm all set now thanks to you. I appreciate it.

Raleigh, NC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

Does this trip run through October or does it close down for the fall/winter season? We are planning a trip to Lake Maggiore in mid October. We are also wondering if the lift to Monte Mottarone will be running thru Oct. 25?

Thank you very much.

6. Re: hydrofoil to Locarno from Stresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Stresa