We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Words of wisdom please

Which Stresa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Words of wisdom please

First vist to Italy and it's Stresa.

Can anyone tell me or point me to useful threads.

1.Best ways to change GBP to Euros. ATM or cash?

2.Stresa on a budget. Half board at hotel so that's the main expense covered but people tell me how expensive Italy is so what's free/cheap to entertain me (apart from lovely scenery which I can spend hours looking at clutching a glass of wine or coffee)

3.Best very local food and wine to try.

4.Any local music /dance events in July?

5.Likely weather in July..do I bring a light waterproof..quite used to that..I am a lover of English Lakes and where there are Lakes, there are rain!

6.Do people dress up a bit at night in hotels and "evening "promenading"?

Thanks.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Words of wisdom please

I'll try and answer a few of your points:

2: Try taking a look at the following - it may give you a few ideas: …blogspot.it/2012/…stresa-on-shoestring.html

4: This is an always updated list of events going on in the town: stresatravel.com/Tomassucci_Web/Stresa_Trave…

5: July is generally a hot month here in Stresa - but as you have already gathered, we often get storms so your light rain jacket will sure to be in use during your stay.

6: People generally dress-up in the hotels for their evening meals whereas during the day things are quite relaxed. We are blessed in Stresa with a super, flat lake-front promenade that is always full of people taking a stroll after dinner looking across at the twinkling lights on the opposite shores and the islands.

Hope this helps some.

STRESA

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Words of wisdom please

Thanks a lot. They're useful links .

Edited: 12 June 2012, 11:33
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Words of wisdom please

We have just returned from a week in Stresa and had a week of wonderful weather with one dramatic storm at breakfast time. We were holidaying on a budget too and were pleasantly surprised at the price of food/drink in restarurants and bars. A wonderful cheap day out is the local bus to Lake Orta! Beautiful place and interesting bus journey for 6 euros each return. This was my favourite trip though we also really enjoyed the Lake Maggiore Express which was incredibly good value if you paid the extra 8 euros for a rover ticket on the Lake for the day before or after and take the opportunity to visit all the islands. Isola Bella was magical. For evenings, we tended to eat casually around the Piazza Cadorno where most tourists seem to assemble - Cafe Torino is very good and so is Mama Mia Pizzeria. There was a live band in the Square on Wednesday evening and I think this is repeated throughout the summer. The atmosphere in the square was terrific. On Thursday evenings, there is live jazz at the Bar Verbanella at the lakeside which we really enjoyed and most evenings there is a pianist/vocalist at the Cafe Torino whom you can hear throughout the square. It is a very pleasant level lakeside walk to Carciano and the Mottarone cable car in one direction and to the gardens at Villa Pallavicino in the opposite direction - the gardens are beautiful and worth a visit. Access from the airport was so easy and overall, we had a wonderful holiday. We stayed at the Hotel Elena which was great but I will review this elsewhere. I will certainly return to Stresa.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Words of wisdom please

Welcome back woodvale and thank you for your report - Glad you enjoyed your week in Stresa and your day trip to Lake Orta!

All the best -

Vagabonda

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Words of wisdom please

Woodvale - Did you use the Alibus from/to Malpensa? If so how did that work for you?

Have copied your post into my notes to take next trip, thanks.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Words of wisdom please

Many thanks,Woodvale.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Words of wisdom please

The Alibus was great. We caught it from bus stop 22 outside Exit 4 at Malpensa terminal 1 - it calls at Malpensa 2 after that - and it was about 45 mins to Stresa where it stopped ouitside the Church facing the ferry port and two minutes from our hotel. We reserved our seats by email a couple of days before but paid 12 euros each on the bus. We were the only passengers and it felt like a private taxi for 24 euros! Do you have the website/email details? Coming back, we got the train into Milan at 8.55 am because our plane was in the evening and we wanted to see the Duomo. If you decide to go to Milan for the day, make sure you get an RE train. It takes 10 mins longer than the Intercity and it is not posh but it costs a third of the Intercity price!

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Words of wisdom please

Yes, I have the Alibus website for reservation and understand need to make reservation at least the day before, will be taking it from Stresa to Malpensa early in the AM

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Words of wisdom please

If schedules are acceptable, the Alibus is the most convenient transport between Malpensa and Stresa.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187843-s301/Lake-Mag…

Vagabonda

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Words of wisdom please

@woodvale: It was nice of you to report back about your weeks holiday in our delightful town that I believe, more than met your expectations.

STRESA

Get answers to your questions about Stresa
Recent Conversations