We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

Youngstown OH
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

Trying to decipher the schedules for the Lake Maggiore Express. As I see it the express does not operate on Wednesdays?? Does anyone have first hand knowlege of this express tour. The only day we can possibly do this tour is Wednesday. We want to use the train from Stresa to Domodossola and then use the Centovalli Rail to Locarno. Does Locarno offer a hydrofoil back to Stresa??

If anyone can help me plan this for a Wednesday I would really appreciate the info.

We really want to visit Locarno.

thank you

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

As I see it, the Lago Maggiore Express only runs on the weekends. See www.lagomaggioreexpress.com/new06/welco_e.htm

Is this the trip you are interested in? I have been to Arona on buisness many times and have oten driven the route the train takes. It is a fantastic (although a bit harrowing at times) drive. If all else fails you, there is a boat to Lucarno and back again. I do not know your starting point so that will make a bit of a difference.

On a Wednesday, rent a car and take the trip. It is not difficult as there are only a few roads, but they are tricky, narrow in some places but you have the advantage of stopping anywhere you wish and for as long as you wish. The drive from Arona in the south to Locarno is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a leisurly pace.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

Ohio Diane,

You can still do the trip as follows on a Wednesday coming back from Locarno on the Hydrofoil.

When will you be coming? I ask as the timetables change on the 24th September.

Stresa 10.21

Domodossola 11.10

Domodossola 11.40

Locarno 13.25

Locarno (Hydrofoil) 17.15

Stresa 18.40

You could even stop off at Re on the centovalli rail journey, have a visit of the village and pick up another train carrying on to Locarno - as otherwise you'll have a long time in Locarno. You can sort this out by visiting a travel agent in Stresa when you get here.

Cost for round trip using hydrofoil is €29.60

Youngstown OH
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

Dear Stresa,

We will arrive on Sept 12th in Stresa and depart on Sept 14th. After posting my question I emailed the Locarno office of Lake Maggiore Express and they helped me.

The times you quoted and the prices are right on target. I think we will enjoy the hydrofoil!!

Can't wait to arrive in your city of Stresa!!

Regards,

Ohio Diane

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

Better to reply late than never as this might help others. Just got back from Stresa.

Take Centovalli Train from Stresa at 10:21 AM arriving in Domodosolla sometime after 11. Switch trains to Locarno. It is real easy. The boat from Locarno to Stresa is much slower than the Hydrofoil which allows you to really relax and enjoy the ride back. The boat does not run on Wed and Sun. Cost is 28 Euros. You can buy ticket at boat station or travel agent next to Pessano's jewelry shop.

5. Re: Lake Maggiore Express Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Stresa
Recent Conversations