We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stresa or Como?

Detroit
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stresa or Como?

I am traveling with two friends the first week of June and can't decide if we want to stay three nights on Lake Como or Lake Maggiore. We will be flying in to Malpensa and joining a busy tour in Venice and are looking for a relaxing time but with sights, shopping, bars, etc. to start our trip. I have a reservations at Hotel Villa Aminta in Stresa and Hotel Villa Flori in Como. Any suggestions which would be the best choice??

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stresa or Como?

We have visite both and much prefer Como. There is plenty to do there and it is ncie and relaxing.

Italy
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stresa or Como?

Hello,

If you want to go shopping and doing sight seeing, I think it's better to come to Lake Como. Here you will have more possibilitys, instade of Stresa.

The hotel you asked for, is outside of Como, it's between Como and Cernobbio.

If you want to stay in Como let me know, I can give you some information about small, fine hotels.

Sabine.Riecks@libero.it

Have a nice day.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stresa or Como?

It looks as though the Villa Aminta is also a bit out of town at Stresa, personally I'd go for seomwhere more central like the Regina Palace, which I have not tried, the Aminta seems to have more facilities and the views certainly look good. The views from hotels in Stresa vary, some look straight up the lake and others you see mainly the hills opposite. On all the lakes there is a haze in summer so go earlier or later to get the best views.

Stresa is a smaller place than Como although both have rail stations. I would say that 3 nights is about right for Stresa, there's time to do the shops, the islands, and something else.

I have spend less time in Como, its bigger and busier though none the worse for that. Getting there by train from Malpensa looks slightly easier.

Detroit
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stresa or Como?

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems everyone thinks Lake Como is the way to go. I will be there the last week of May and have tried to get a room in Bellagio but most of the better places are booked. Any suggestions for a Lake Como hotel??

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stresa or Como?

Hi

I haven't actually been to Lake Como yet - I am going in mid April but I have done my research and am staying at Hotel Firenze/Florence in Bellagio as Bellagio is supposed to be the prettiest town, the hotel looks fabulous on its website and it is supposed to have a great restaurant and bar. I am also staying at Villa Belvedere over on the western side in Argegno - again because it looked lovely on the website and people who had stayed there seemed to go all misty eyed and nostalgic when writing about it.

We are also taking Lake Maggiore in for a couple of nights - check out the Hotel Verbano on Isola Pescatore - again it looks idyllic.

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stresa or Como?

For non drivers, I thought Stresa had a short, direct route of public transport (bus?) from that airport which made it far more accessible than going into Milan and transfering to a Como or Varenna bound train. Of course Bellagio doesn't even have train service, and has a lot of exasperating hill climbing to walk around. So a bit of time and trouble may be saved at Stresa or Varenna (plenty pretty).

Italy
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stresa or Como?

Are you interested only in a hotel or can it be a very particulare Bed & Breakfast?

I can send you some fotos if you are interested.

Please let me know:

Sabine.Riecks@libero.it

Have a nice day

atlanta Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stresa or Como?

I am a tour operator specializing in small groups of well-traveled seniors who prefer multiple night stays.

The Flora is a lovely hotel and if you enjoy strolling, walking into the main piazza of Como and catching a lake streamer there or shopping is very do-able. Also, I always atay at the Flora's sister hotel in the main piazza of Como and for a change we have a dinner at the Flori..........marvelous cuisine!

US
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Stresa or Como?

not sooo fast. Like Como and Stresa. Depends what you are really looking for. Como, busier, much more developed and much more traffic. Stresa is just the opposite and I found to be much more relaxing and less over run by American tourists.

I much prefer Stresa!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stresa or Como?

We also prefer Stresa. It is relaxing and less noise. Also, the islands are wonderful to visit.

Get answers to your questions about Stresa
Recent Conversations