We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

hello,

I will do a day trip on the 30th of March in Mantua. Could you please help me with some tips for this town? I would like to see more landscapes and nice views rather than museums.

Thanks

madalina

Mantua, Italy
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Hello,

the best way to see the beauty of the city is to park your car at CAMPO CANOA, on the opposite shore of the lake, and than walk on the bridge to the Castle. The view will leave you breathless. Have a look: http://youtu.be/svjv6Y-a_f8

Then walk in Piazza Sordello, Piazza Castello and Piazza delle Erbe.

I would suggest you the Ducal Palace.

The other great attraction is Palazzo Te. It is on the opposite side of the city, so you'd need to move your car from Campo Canoa to the Palazzo Te Area.

Another idea would be a cruise on the Lake. They usually take about 2 hours.

Hope this tips can help.

Best wishes

Lorenzo – VisitMantua

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Sordello
Piazza Sordello
224 Reviews
Mantua, Italy
Palazzo Te
Palazzo Te
3,122 Reviews
Mantua, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Loved, loved Mantua. The castle is ginormous and well worth visiting with beautifully painted rooms. There are a number of lovely churches including the tiny round church just at the end of the Piazza del Herbe. The whole place is surrounded by water so the suggestion of a boat trip is excellent.

We enjoyed just sitting at cafe tables as well.

Here was our visit

…blogspot.com.au/2009/08/of-villas-and-palaz…

Be careful of where you drive. Mantua is protected by ZTLs and the first photo in this tip sheet is of Mantua. Do NOT drive in.

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ZTL.htm

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Thank you very much. We will arrive by train from Verona. Is the itinerary you gave me still doable?it sounds very interesting. By the way, do you know how"s the wearher at the end of march?

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Lynn, great blog, thanks for sharing.

The weather at the moment is quite cold but that could change quite quickly but in any case you'll need a warm jacket for the evenings.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Thank you all for the suggestions; Looks like we'll love Mantua :D

Mantua, Italy
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Hi Madalina,

if you are planning to visit more than 2 museums - for example the Ducal Palace, Palazzo Te and the Bibiena Theatre - I would suggest you to buy the Mantua Museums Card - …mantova.it/index.php/…328. You'll save your money and your time.

Being your visit scheduled on Easter, be aware about the religious services in the Churches. The tourists are not allowed to visit them during the Mass.

Finally, a tip about your easter lunch in Mantua: avoid every restaurant with a waiter on the door, who invites - or even pushes! - you to enter. The good restaurants don't need this kind of pushers!

Best

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Te
Palazzo Te
3,122 Reviews
Mantua, Italy
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Thank you for the tips; We intent to walk more, and not spend too much time in museums. i hope we will have nice weather and stroll a bit :)

Mantua, Italy
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Dear Madalina,

be aware: the weather is going to be very COLD and RAINY. I am so sorry! When in Mantua don't plan to escape from the cold visiting the Ducal Palace: there's no heating inside the Museum! On the contrary Palazzo Te has heating.

A final tip: Do not wear stilettos or high heels: the main squares are floored with cobblestones. It's not the right place for a catwalk in your fashion shoes.

best wishes

Lorenzo - VisitMantua

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Te
Palazzo Te
3,122 Reviews
Mantua, Italy
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

Thank you Lorenzo for the tips; unfortunately if it's going to rain I think we won't come to mantua.. we'll stay in Verona; hopefully the weather will change a bit by Saturday:)

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Mantua, Italy
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Day in Mantua -30th of march- what to do?

So, did you manage to visit Mantua, or the weather was too bad? I do hope you are enjoying your stay in Italy, even in this awful rain... it really looks like november!

Get answers to your questions about Mantua