We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

We are hoping to go to Milan in May for the first time, for a wekend break. Our flight options are Fri - Mon or Sun - Wed, both flights arrive at Bergamo and 18:00

What would be the best option, we have had it rumoured that a lot of places may be closed on the Sunday. We like to do the sites eat,drink and shop.

What is the easiest and fastest transfer from Bergamo to Milan? How long does it take?

Does anybody have any recommondations for hotels close to the centre (walking distance). Romana Residence?

What would be the main sites to try and fit in

Are the restaurants, bars open late at nights or do they close early on Sunday.?

I am sure I will have more questions

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
191 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

Hi,

avoid absolutely Sundays, evertything is closed.

The easiest transfer in my opinion is the bus; it leaves every 20 minutes just from the airport; 18/19 are high traffic hours, plan 1 hour an half in order to arrive to Milan's downtown.

For me, the best sites are just in the downtown: have a walk in the very long pedestrian street from Castello Sforzesco to San Babila and then if you like shopping you can spend sometime in Via Montenapoleone. There many and many things to see in these 2 km (castello sforzesco, duomo, brera gallery, galleria vittorio emanuele, la scala and lots of shops, stores, etc..)

Regarding restaurants, some are close on Sunday or on Monday but you'll certainly find some open.

The hotel depends on your budget, here I don'nt give you any suggestion because i've never tried one

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

shops are closed on sunday (although some in the centre are not) and Monday (although some just half a day). In both cases you catch these 2 days so it' s up to you. I would add to the previous post a visit to Milan's Navigli area (on sunday if it's sunny there's many people and once a month a flower market) andsince you are leaving from Bergamo I would try to put in a half day in Bergamo Alta which is really nice to see.

ciao

Claudio

Scotland
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

We are flying into Bergamo too and have found the following comany to be cheapest/best for the transfer into milan:

http://www.terravision.eu/milan_bergamo.html#

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

We travelled from Gatwick to Bergamo in January. Terravision sells tickets at both Gatwick and Bergamo airports. There are coaches in front of Bergamo airport which will take you to Milan. You can also buy tickets from the guys who load the coaches. It will take you about 1 hour 15 mins.

Make sure you spare at least half a day or better the whole day in Bergamo. It’s beautiful. You can leave your luggage at the airport and take a bus, 15 mins.

You can go up the hills in "small cable trains". Lots of cafes and bars there too. Beautiful small town.

5. Re: Milan, weekend break for first time Flying to Bergamo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 22:19