We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Milan to Rome

Plymouth MA
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Topic
Trains from Milan to Rome

Hi All,

We are scheduled to arrive in Milan at 6:35AM and we will be taking the train to Rome that day. I would like to purchase my train tickets in advance so that I do not need to do it when we arrive in Rome.

So, a couple of questions: What would be the earliest train that we would be able to catch that day. Ther eis one that leaves from Milan Central at 8:00AM and one that leaves at 9:00AM. Is Milan central close to the airport and will the 9:00AM train be cutting it too close? Any hope that I might be able to make the 8:00AM?

Thanks!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

I assume you'll be flying into Malpensa airport and it's about an hour's bus ride to Milano Centrale station. Once you get your bags and get through customs you will see signs advertising bus trips to the train station.

There are two companies and they're about the same, 6 Euros, to the train station. Buy a ticket, put your luggage underneath in the baggage area, and get on the bus. Depending on traffic it should take about 50-60 minutes to get to the station.

Depending on how long it takes to get your bags and get through customs the 9 am might work. I don't thing the 8 am is workable.

italybound@verizon.net

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

It will be impossible to make the 8:00 train if you're landing at Malpensa Airport. This airport is 29 miles from Milan. There is bus service that links both terminals at Malpensa to Milan Central Station, and a train that goes to Milan Cadorna Station. The rail journey takes 40 minutes. The length of the bus journey is completely dependent on traffic and weather conditions, but is never any quicker than the train in my experience..

The train plus a taxi might be faster than bus service to Central Station, but that would depend on the departure times of each. I can't imagine that you'll be able to depart the airport much before 7:45AM with claiming baggage and clearing Passport Control and Immigration and getting to the bus/train pickup point..

If the airport transport scheduling gods smile on you, you might make the 9:00 train, but it's by no means a sure thing. There should, however, be later trains than the 9:00 schedule as that route is a very busy corridor. Try www.trenitalia.com and see what you can find.

Good Luck.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

I strongly second previous posters' suggestion. The 8 AM train is out of the question, and the 9 AM one might or might not work -- to be on the safe side get your e-tickets on either the 10 AM or the 11 AM EuroStar (at 51 euro a pop in 2nd class), or if you want to save a little something, there is an IC train at 11.10 -- takes about 6 hours instead of 4hours 30 mins but the fare is only 44 euro).

Plymouth MA
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

Thank you all for the info. For some reason I thought there was train station either inside or close to Malpensa!

Knowing now where it is there would be not way we would make the 8AM! I would love to get on the the 9AM or 10AM as the 11AM looks to be a longer trip. I tried two different sites to look at timetables and fares and to try to reserve but neither site, trenitalia or the Eurorail site would allow purchase yet for an August 9 train.

Does anyone know if it matters what site you purchase the tickets from? Is there a cost difference are they selling tickets for the same trians?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

You can buy e-tickets on trenitalia.com up to 60 days before your travel. If you book ahead the fare stays the same -- but you avoid the hassle of lining up at the ticket booth (time is money!). Eurail is a ticket reseller -- they sell tickets with a mark up.

Plymouth MA
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

Thank you so much for your help.

Singapore
Level Contributor
153 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

Hi everyone,

I find the info posted here extremely helpful.

One-way ticket from Milan to Rome for Dec costs $800+ on Alitalia!!

We are living in Singapore and will fly into the Mapensa airport at 6:00 a.m. on 3 Dec, to get to Rome (based on your recommendation here) - is to either take a shuttle to the Central Train Station or a direct train in order to board the Eurostar, right?

This is our first trip to Italy although we took Eurostar from Paris to London some years ago.

If we were to make advance booking for Milan to Rome tickets, we should shoot for the 10:00 a.m. Eurostar train?

Could anyone elaborate on the train option from the Mapensa airport? According to one of you here, the train will take only 40 mins? How much time will it take for us to get to the train station from the airport? Is it within walking distance?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Victoria

Singapore

Frimley Green
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

The quickest would be by Taxi which is a flat rate of 70 Euros to central Milan.

The Eurostar trains are very good and leave almost every hour for Rome but you have to book in advance. They are nearly always full. They are 12 coach trains setting nearly 100 in 2nd Class. Last time I used the service Milan to Firenze(Florence) I went to the station to try and get a ticket on the 12:00 Eurostar only to be told it was full as was the 13:00 and there were 2 seats only left on the 14:00, the 15:00 was full and there were some seats on the 16:00.

Don't forget that before you board the train VALIDATE your ticket in the little machine (generally yellow) at the end of the platform before you board otherwise you will be fined on the train by the ticket inspector. The fine is quite substantial I believe, 36 Euros was mentioned to me by another traveler.

Singapore
Level Contributor
153 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

Hi, Karada_UK,

Thanks for the tips on train travel. Given that we will land in Milan at 6:00 a.m., I think it's safer for us to book the 10:00 a.m. ES train, even if we were to take the taxi? Instead of 9:00 a.m.?

Regards,

Victoria

needham, ma
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains from Milan to Rome

How many hrs. does it take to get from Milan to Rome?