We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Venice

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milan to Venice

We are flying into Malpensa at 10:35 am. It sounds like we should take the bus to the central station. What time train are we likely to make? 1:00 pm? Should we make reservations in advance from the US? Would we buy the tickets now as well? Just trying to figure out how this would all work. thanks for anyone's advice.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
183 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Venice

hi,

there is a bus every 20 minutes, so you don't absolutely need to buy tickets in advance

consider 50 minutes to arrive at the central station from the moment you get the bus plus the time you need to take back your luggage so I would book the train at 2:00 pm, in order to be sure not to miss it in case of problems; should you arrive before, you can have lunch at central station

look at

www.malpensashuttle.it

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Venice

I would take even a bit more time. 3PM train at the earliest, this gives you time to get some snacks and drinks for the train trip as well. There is never any telling how long it takes to get out of Malpensa and into the city.

Yes, make your reservations from home., the train station can be a hectic place and if you have never experienced it it will wake you up for sure. Also, for the extra few Euros, book first class and select your seats so you are looking forward. It is just a bit nicer and a bit more legroom. You can get seats in sections for two or four in first class. Also, you have a bit more room for you luggage (which is in a rack in that back of the car). Suggest you have some sort of lockable cable that you can attach through the handles and to a post. Luggage is not stolen often but it has happened.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Venice

I would take even a bit more time. 3PM train at the earliest, this gives you time to get some snacks and drinks for the train trip as well. There is never any telling how long it takes to get out of Malpensa and into the city.

Yes, make your reservations from home. the train station can be a hectic place and if you have never experienced it will awaken your senses for sure. Also, for the extra few Euros, book first class and pre-select your seats so you are looking forward. It is just a bit nicer and a bit more legroom. You can get seats in sections for two or four in first class. Also, you have a bit more room for you luggage (which is in a rack in that back of the car). Suggest you have some sort of lockable cable that you can attach through the handles and to a post. Luggage is not stolen often but it has happened.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
275 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Venice

Book the 1500. You can choose your seat online and you will know that you are safe. You can't get on a Eurostar train without a booking anyway. Go to:

www.themaninseat61.com

Washington DC
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Venice

thanks for all your help. A few follow-ups: what is the difference between Eurostar 1st and 2nd class? Don't you get a reserved seat either way? Does it matter hwat website I use - there is trenitalia and also raileurope I think - prices seemed slightly different. Is there a difference were luggae is kept on 2nd vs 1st class? A few people mentioned stolen luggage and I was wondering what is safest...we are two adults and 2 kids.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Venice

I would suggest first class, for the few dollars extra, it is really worth it. A little more privacy, nicer seats, small tables, more room and all around, just better. You can choose your seats ahead of time (I have heard that this is also true for 2nd class but I am unsure). Pick seats facing forward. Get some food and drinks before you board and enjoy a meal while on the trip.

7. Re: Milan to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:16