We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad areas to avoid

United States
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Bad areas to avoid

Any bad areas tourists should avoid walking into ?

Milanoguida
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Milan Private Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad areas to avoid

you really don't need to worry about Milan

everywhere you would want to go is safe

there are some gypsy beggars that are annoying in the Metro stations, watch your pockets and bags around them

you will see the young girls in skirts begging for money for their babies while one of them or their kids attempts to get into your bags

they are more of a nuisance around Italy but nothing to be afraid of

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad areas to avoid

There are bad areas like in every city, but as a tourist you really have no reason to go there, hence...dont go there.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad areas to avoid

Avoid the Sunday Fiera market, I had my pocket picked last week. There are gypsies trying to con tourists with fake gold jewellery and beggars who are quite persistent in the parks, just say NO and ignore them. Its very hot so buy some cold drinks from a supermarket and get a 1 euro travel ticket which will last 75 minutes on any tram,bus or Metro from any shop with a large T displayed. You must validate the ticket by putting it in machine on tram or bus or as you enter Metro platform. A lot of prostitutes around and very dangerous drivers all of whom are on the phone and or smoking. That said the shops and parks are fantastic but don't go into parks after dark. Get a good street map which will have Metro Stations marked and plan ahead.Enjoy yourselfhttp://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i6036-Sintra_trams_and_beaches.html

United States
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad areas to avoid

Milan is our last stop so we're only dedicating one day to it before we come back. We'll be there on a Saturday only so I guess the Sunday market will not be an issue for us. Usually we prefer to take the hop on hop off bus so we can stay within the tourist areas. It worked well for us in NY, so it might be the best and safest way to see Milan. Thanks.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad areas to avoid

The only real dangerous area is the Stazione centrale area, all the rest is ok.

ciao

Claudio

wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad areas to avoid

Just returned from four days in Milan and I would say like Rome, Sorrento and other Italian places I've gone to in recent years Milan is very safe. The trains at night and particularly the metro can be a little bit scary if you're travelling alone and perhaps female but for the rest of the city there's no problem.

Did more than just the touristy places as well as have relatives living in the city meaning we went into where the locals live at night and felt nothing but safe.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad areas to avoid

No need to be "afraid" anywhere in Italy in my opinion............and been discovering this country of the "endless wonders" ever since moving here in 1973.......(been in the Assisi countryside since 1975) -

Just keep your eyes open and use the usual caution you would/should use anywhere.............

Keep passport always in hotel - travel with photocopy on you.

Carry money in pouch inside your shirt.............

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad areas to avoid

Central Station area at night - definitely some sketchy characters there

Glasgow
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad areas to avoid

sketchy characters ? please explain. I live in Glasgow and around our central station at night if all you had to worry about was sketchy characters , then you would be doing well, avoiding the many drunks and teen gangs, I would swap milan central for glasgow central any day, I have never felt fearful in milan at anytime

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad areas to avoid

Sketchy people i.e. there are quite a few gypsy beggars around. I've also seen prostitutes and other unsavoury types. I have been in the area at night and I have never experienced anything bad personally but my uncle had his Blackberry stolen right off his belt-clip. I think you'll be fine as long as you pay attention to your surroundings and use common sense.