We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

milan duomo

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
11 posts
Save Topic
milan duomo

Hi,

I will be in Milan in July...does anyone have any updates from a recent trip there regarding the scaffolding on the duomo??? thanks

Pavia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: milan duomo

Here is a webcam shot: unfortunately is visible only the upper part of the facade... Sorry!

http://www.milanocam.it/duomo/

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: milan duomo

Actaully the Duomo facade has never been so visible since a couple of years.

Scaffholding should be completely removed by the end of the year.

Still an impressive view in my opinion.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: milan duomo

Good news folks: all scaffoldings have been removed. The main facade of the Duomo, which truly is one of the most beautiful gothic cathedrals, is now totally visible in all its magnificence!

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: milan duomo

I was there a week ago and there is some scaffolding - but only a very little that won't spoil your experience.

Do go up on the roof. We were 'iffy' about going up as the weather was bad but it is a magical experience. There is a lift if you are old and decrepid like me.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
939 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: milan duomo

Am thrilled to hear the scaffolding is almost entirely down.

Will be there again in three weeks - cannot recall the number of times I have walked past the structure and it never ceases to take my breath away!

How can one not just stand and stare each and every time?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: milan duomo

Once again, the scaffolding is TOTALLY down.

I resent that anybody can imply that I post unverified information!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,269 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: milan duomo

FF the camera never lies. There is scaffolding on one small tower still according to the webcam today. Still, by August 2009, either it will be all gone or they will have started a whole new project where it is covered in green canvas with advertising. I think they see us coming.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: milan duomo

Didn't I say the main facade? Yes, I did, and I confirm that -- I walked past it the other day as I happen to LIVE in the city! No scaffolding on the main facade, which is the most stunning part after all. Of course restoration work will continue, actually it is never finishes, according to a local saying.

9. Re: milan duomo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:17