We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

My wife and I will be vacationing in Italy for a week in late September and will be flying in and out of Milan. We have been to Rome but no other cities. We are not overly artsy but want to make sure we don't miss something we would regret having not seen. Also, we aren't hung up on hanging out at beaches as we have experienced living on both US coasts.

Any suggestions on where we should plan to go, what we should plan to see, how we should plan to get between cities, etc? We have used this forum on previous vacations to Europe and it is my 1st stop before planning our trip.

Thanks to all...

Ed

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

You could go towards Verona, Padua and Venice or Bologna, Modena, Parma or Cuneo, Barollo, Alba, Asti area and all of them could begin or end in Milan for a night or 2. I would rent a car for all of them except the Verona, Venice one, that you could do by train since you wouldn't need a car in Venice. I would pick up a car after leaving Milan or drop it before going to Milan at the end. You won't want one then, otherwise all of the other cities are fine with a car.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

Also near to Milan is of course the wonderful lakes which are well worth a visit (Lake Como/Maggiore/Garda).

NH
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

Head to the lakes region! Garda, Bellagio. I haven't been but heard its beautiful. Planning a trip for next summer.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
110 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

I'm going there too on July for 5 days and I'm planning to do Milano in 3 days and 1 day trip to Lago Como and 1 day trip to Genova, all by train. Maybe there are other choices but for what I had searched here, Forums and Photos, it seems to be my favourite. After arriving I can advise you, if you want.

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

Personal opinion - but if you haven't been to Venice,I'd take this opportunity.Nowhere's like Venice (which I much prefer to Verona).

More locally,I'd suggest the Bellagio/Varenna/Menaggio triangle area on Lake Como - just back from Lake Garda and much prefer Lake Como.

If taking in Genoa area,then Cinque Terre towns (and Portovenere) are well worth visiting.

Doubt you'll do all that in a week though !

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

If you enjoy wine travel, consider the Piedmonte region - home of Barbaresco, Barolo, La Morra, Asti, Alba (good saturday market) etc. It's a lovely area with great vistas, castles, wine stops - and a somewhat "undiscovered" region of Italy

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

For 7 days I would say stop 1 night in Verona, 1 in Padova, 4 in Venice and the last day in Milano. This way you will get a taste of everything - fascinating Venice, smaller towns and a modern city. For more time, stay more in Venice.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

Partly agree with Chemical woman, but I would probably do 2 nights in Venice, 2 in Milan, one in Treviso (a charming town near Venice) one in Verona, and go for a half day to Sirmione, on the garda lake between Verona and Milano. This is a trip you can do by train, no need for a car as the Venice-Milan train line is very efficient. For train hours and prices just go on ferroviedellostato.it/ferrovie/…inglese.jsp

ciao

9. Re: 7 days in Italy, begin/end in Milan-what to do, where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:19