We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

Jersey
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

I am visiting Milan in February and I want to travel to Venice and Rome.

How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome or from Venice to Rome?

In US dollars.

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

Hello,

Venice to Rome in 2nd class on the fast train is about 50 euros. It depends on what the exchange rate is but it is about 65.00 U.S. dollars right now.

Donna

You can check out the trenitalia website for other trains. The slower the train the less it costs.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

You can get your rates on Trenitalia's website:

www.trenitalia.com Choose the English translation.

You will not be able to get the correct rates for February yet, as they do not enter next year's rates until Dec. 13.

But schedules and prices do not change too much - just search for next week on the same day of the week you will travel in Feb and you will get times and rates. They will be substantially the same.

You will search for Milan Centrale station, Rome Termini station and Venice Santa Lucia (NOT Mestre.)

Incidentally, I don't know if you realize, but the distances are quite far. From Milan to Rome is something like 6 hours each way and the same from Venice to Rome. It may be just as resonable to consider flying on one of the cheap European carriers like Ryanair or Easyjet. OR don't bother if you are not planning on spending at least 3 days in each place. Florence is a bit closer - about 4 hours from Milan. Milan to Venice is about the same.

Use these websites to search for your options and see if it's worth it:

www.flycheapo.com

www.whichbudget.com

Note that they often use smaller airports outside the city center, but as pertains to Milan Bergamo Orio al Serio and Rome Ciampino, they are actually more convenient to the city centers than the large, international airports. Venice Treviso is not too far out of the way though.

IT will give rates in euro - you will want to use a conversion websites to get the most accurate value to dollars. I use www.xe.com

LL

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

I certainly hope you have a lot of time in Italy. Those areas cover a huge area with lots of beautiful things in between. You might think about allowing it down a big a concentrate on one or two areas.

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

I just bought a flight on January 8, 2009, Milan to Rome, roundtrip. Total cost = 20 euro. For each city, it takes roughly an hour from airport to city center (Bergamo-Milan & Ciampino-Rome), plus the flight is an hour each way. So, total, 4 hours of travel time for a total of 20 euro. Beats any train available.

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

... on Ryanair's website.

Jersey
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

Thanks guys!

This was helpful.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

Don't forget the fact that you have to arrive at the airport about an hour and a half before your flight, and that the trip from city center to airport isn't free. Also, if you're flying Ryanair, unless you're just carrying a toothbrush and some spare undies, you're probably going to have luggage charges.

All in all, time and cost are about equal and I find the train much more comfortable than the plane.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
660 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

I need to get from Milan to Rome on Jan 2--I noticed there is a fast train that takes only 4 hours. Alternatively, how reliable is the AirOne flight from Milan to Rome? If I come into Malpensa on American Airlines, do I change terminals for AirOne? How much time do I need to allow for a connection?

Grazie mille!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,338 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

Ellenami, non-stop, high speed trains (new service starting Dec 14) take 3 and a half hours from Milan to Rome, but you have to reach Milan's central station by bus from Malpensa airport, and will take you approx. 1 hour.

AirOne and Alitalia use the same terminal (T1) as American and most other 'regular' carriers. Easy Jet, which also flies from MXP to Rome, uses the T2, but going from one to the other terminal is easy (10 minutes by free shuttle).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
660 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does it cost to get from Milan to Rome?

Excellent, grazie!