We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Lugano from Milan

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Lugano from Milan

Hello, we are a young couple trying to organize a trip to Milan for August. We were planning to go to Lugano from Milan. Is this a good idea? Is it sensible to stay there a night or just do a day trip? Thanks!

milan, italy
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

Hi,

for my experience, I won't stay more than one day in Lugano. You can get easily for a day trip, unless you want to spend some days on the lake. It's true that in Milan a lot of shops and cafes will be closed in August.

Is it your first time to Milan and Lombardy? There are plenty of things to do, look some tripadvisor's pieces of advice.

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

Thanks!! Why are shops etc closed in August?

Is it a bad time to visit?

milan, italy
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

I would say that it's a period in which the most of office are closed, so milan will be quite empty. You will walk above all among tourists in the city center, specially in the mid weeks of august (10-24).

i wouldn't say it is a bad time to visit milan, but if you look services or restaurants far from city center they could be closed for vacation. You know, here in Italy we are latin so at august just a few people use to work in the big cities, except rome, venice or florence, where tourist industry is so important.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

Hi! I too am planning to take the train from Milan to Lugano...can you tell me approximately how much it costs from Milan to Lugano, and how long it takes? : ) Mille grazie!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

If you can change your plans it would be better to skip Milan in August. All the tourist attractions are open but hardly any shops or restaurants are open.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

All train times from Milan to Lugano are here: www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

Typically, it takes an hour and costs €16.50

7. Re: Trip to Lugano from Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 05:17