We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

milan and venice in winter

qc phils
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
milan and venice in winter

we are going there next week and i need to know how cold it is? what clothes do we need to bring?

thanks

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$162.20*
Lake Como Day Tour, Bellagio or...
1,448 reviews
from US$99.30*
Skip the Line: Small-Group Milan...
1,117 reviews
from US$94.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,789 reviews
from US$86.80*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: milan and venice in winter

Milan - average daily maximum temperatures in January are 5 Celsius, If the wind blows from the Alps in the north it can be a lot colder than that so warm clothes definitely.

Venice is little better as the average daily maximum temperatures are only 6 Celsius.

However both can have bright sunshine which makes ideal weather for sightseeing. On the other hand, both can have rain during January.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: milan and venice in winter

This year like a lot of Europe Northern Italy is experiencing very cold weather,

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: milan and venice in winter

I'm in Florence at the moment and it really isn't cold - will also be spending next week in Milan. Last year this time in Milan it went down to minus 4 in evenings and anything between 5 and 9 during the day.

It is often rainy in Milan - take an umbrella (and gloves).

Thick jacket and something light for indoors - I find everything overheated, particularly hotel rooms - hope yours isn't centrally heated and you can adjust yourself.

qc phils
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: milan and venice in winter

thanks for your very helpful replies. will be going to europe for the 1st time and havent experienced winter there yet. hope it doesnt rain too much so we can take plenty of pics :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: milan and venice in winter

I was in Venice in December 2007 and it was VERY chilly in the morning when we arrived to Venice. I guess it was around -2 but due to high humidity it felt like -8.

Thick jacket, comfortable boots, a hat and gloves are a must.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: milan and venice in winter

My best tip for you is to bring along thin silk long underwear (at least the top). There is a dampness in their winter air and it makes it feel 10 degrees colder than it is.

Bring 2 pair of walking shoes because they will get wet. Try to figure out some sort of hat that won't destroy your hair or at least some ear muffs. A warm scarf is a must....I swear it brings your body temp up at least 5 degrees. And layers for clothing. A black or neutral boiled wool/wool zip up cardigan would be very versitile. I like the 3/4 length coat for that time of year (it keeps your bottom warm and doesn't collect wetness from the street)

Enjoy!

7. Re: milan and venice in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 05:17