We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Hi,

I've finally decided that we will stay in Milan as we are going to a match as well. We would have preferred to stay in Lake Como but it would have involved alot of travelling to and from the Lake.

I would love help planning a day's itenary for Lake Como please. We will be staying close to Milan Central Station. What train etc. should we take please.

Some idea of what we like:

Love to stroll, not hike, drink nice coffee, maybe a glass of vino,admire the beauty of the lake, keen animal lovers, like short cycles,ferry trip, picnic or lunch somewhere nice but obviously as we are day trippers we will not be extremly dressedd up just nice casual. We do like museums but don't really want that in Lake Como, more admiring and appreciating the beauty of the Lake rather than wandering around villas. Love quaint villages. Just a few ideas of what we like, obviously we won't be able to fit everything in.

Love eating al fresco as not much opportunity at home with our climate.

We plan to leave earlish maybe 8/9a.m. and stay as late as possible. Would love to fit in a lazy bike ride but not essential. A relaxing day sampling the delights of Italy. I have only been to Venice before.

3 of us.

Thanking you ever so much for any itenary, ideas or tips. Very much appreciated. Need anything on Ireland or America I'm only too happy to help.

Penny. :)

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,187 reviews
from US$160.40*
Lake Como Day Tour, Bellagio or...
1,444 reviews
from US$98.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,780 reviews
from US$85.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Small-Group Milan...
1,106 reviews
from US$87.10*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

You would probably do best to take a train from Milan Central station to Varenna. From there, you can take ferries to Bellagio and other towns around the central part of the lake. You could even take a ferry from Bellagio to Como and a train back to Milan from there.

You can get train times and costs from www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html . Use a travel date in the next 7 days to get costs on these local trains. There is no point booking in advance: there are no seat reservations and tickets cannot sell out.

There are also trains between Como Lago (near the ferry terminal) to Milan Cadorna station, run by another company: see www.lenord.it/en/index.php

Ferry times: www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

From Milan Centrale take the train heading for Sondrio or Tirano. The departure board may also read “Leccotirano.” All Sondrio trains will stop in Varenna. Sit on the train’s left side for stunning views of the lake! Exit the train at Varenna-Esino.

You may actually prefer Varenna to Bellagio.

Varenna is smaller, quieter, less commercial, and less touristy than Bellagio. It has a mediaeval square with alleys that rise above the lake, a lakeside path, and beautiful gardens. Varenna has a very good variety of restaurants, especially given its size. It also has the advantage of having a train station.

Varenna:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187835-i497-k3228…

Bellagio is a beautiful town with lots of tourists, and lots of shops. It's definitely larger than Varenna, and more commercial. You could easily take the short ferry from Varenna and see both towns.

Vagabonda

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Hello,

Thank you both so much for taking time to reply to my question. I very much appreciate it.

I will look up your advised links and travel ideas this week and plan my day. I will post back when I figure it out or if you don't mind with a question.

Again, Thank you. Enjoy your week. :) Penny.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

My pleasure pennypen - Photos always help!! :-)

www.trekearth.com/search.php…

trekearth.com/gallery/…

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Hi penny

Great ideas from Sydneynick and vagabonda. just to add if you do decide to come back via Como as Sydneynick suggested, try and take the funicular to the hill top village of Brunate for stunning views over Como and the lake. There is also a small bar /cafe near the funicular where you can enjoy the view with a glass of vino.

You can also take the train from Comos other station: Como San Giovanni to Milan central station. This Como station is less than 10 minute walk from Como so not as central as Como Lago but brings you to Milan central closed to where you are staying.

Have a great trip - the lakes are stunning!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

I agree - The lakes are stunning!

The funicular to Brunate is a great suggestion WorldwiserIreland.

If you do decide to return via Como, you might find this thread helpful as well pennypen.

Lake Como and Lago Maggiore:

tripadvisor.com/…21525853

Vagabonda

UK
Level Contributor
539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Wow, Vagabonda - those photos of Varenna look very tempting indeed.

Isn't Lake Como an 'exclusive' destination? ie - is it expensive to eat out in Varenna and other places?

Thanks,

Mrs T

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Hi MrsTeapot,

Lake Como can be as affordable as any other destination – Varenna, Mennagio or Argegno are less expensive than Bellagio, and you can enjoy B&B accommodations.

Varenna:

http://www.varennaitaly.com/english.html

And Menaggio….

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k3108…

Argegno is one of my favourite towns on the lake. It's more local and real.

Argegno is a picturesque town and worth a visit. Walk its medieval alleys behind the waterfront.

Don’t miss the cable car from Agregno up the mountain to Pigra, offering spectacular views of the lake.

Argegno:

holidayitalia.net/localinfo/localinfoargegno…

http://www.lagodicomo.com/english/argegno.php

www.trekearth.com/search.php…

If you hire a car, you could head west up the mountains from Argegno to the Val d’Intelvi and the town of San Fedele. The amazingly beautiful Intelvi Valley links Lake Como and Lake Lugano, and drives or hikes in this valley zigzag in and out of Switzerland.

And the Locanda Sant'Anna is an unbelievable value!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187835-i497-k2850…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k1215…

Vagabonda

Edited: 01 February 2010, 19:16
UK
Level Contributor
539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Ooh thanks Vagabonda!

Damn Trip Advisor for taking away the facility to save each post in separate files! ;oP

Thanks once again.

I shall definitely visit.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help plan day trip Milan to Lake Como please!!!!

Bookmark - Lake Como will not disappoint MrsTeapot! :-)

Vagabonda