We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
57 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Almost 2 days I was looking for various cheap ways how to get to Rome from Milan. And I feel a little bit confused, because there are no cheap ways to reach the capital of Italy :( The prices of trains had shocked me, because I think, that price of 63 EUR to Rome is not normal. I will need to return back to Milan later, so 63 EUR geminates and we have 126 EUR for only travel by train to Rome. I think it is very very expensive. I was hoping, that the price will be around 60 EUR for both sides, but as I see, my hopes were foolish.

I have discovered, that the flights with the plane are even cheaper, than travelling with the trains. EasyJet or RyanAir are offering flights to Rome from Milan for around 80-90 EUR both ways. But it is a little too expensive for us too.

Maybe someone could offer any other way or possibility to reach Rome from Milan for ~30 EUR for one way travelling?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

The fare on the fast trains is 89 Euro one way from Milan to Rome.

If you're prepared to spend 6.5 hours on the train, you can take an IC train for 46 Euro one way. It's the lowest direct train fare.

Go to www.trenitalia.com and click on All Solutions.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

On an IC (relatively slow) train, the second class fare from Milan to Rome is 46 Euro. If you buy your ticket at least 15 days in advance, a "meno 30" fare (30% discount) may be available, in which case the fare is Euro 32.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Milan to Rome on Regional trains via Genoa and Pisa costs €34.25, or €35.75 via Bologna and Florence.

To find these trains, split up the route when using http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html and click 'all solutions' at bottom left of the page.

Faster, direct IC trains cost €46 - and if booking online there are discounts for these and the expensive ES trains, if your credit card works on the site.

Edited: 28 February 2010, 19:00
Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
57 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Unfortunately, we would like to buy a ticket to Rome for 12th of March, that is after 12 days from now :) And the price I have found is 63 EUR for 2nd class ticket. Any suggestions?

"To find these trains, split up the route when using http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html and click 'all solutions' at bottom left of the page.

Faster, direct IC trains cost €46 - and if booking online there are discounts for these and the expensive ES trains, if your credit card works on the site."

Sorry, but I have not found the button at the bottom in the left side of page. Where is it? 46 EUR price would be interesting too, but I haven't found this price too. Price on 12th of March from Milano (23:00) to Rome (arriving next day 7 am) is 63 EUR. How to get discount for this price?

Edited: 28 February 2010, 20:01
Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
57 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Sorry, now everything looks clear - I have found ticket on 12th of March to Rome for 32.5 EUR. But only for one way. Because the return tickets are much more expensive. There is one ticket on Sunday night for 32.5 EUR, but it is not suitable for us, because train arrives too late for us. And on daytime there are only expensive tickets. By the way, maybe it is possible to travel for free? :) Or there are always a conductor on the train? :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Don't even think of trying to travel without a ticket. There are very substantial fines.

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Go for it if you like to experience the Italian prison system

Edited: 28 February 2010, 21:48
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

You'll rue the day you considered travelling without a ticket. The fines are considerable and the conductors check regularly. On our last trip we watched 2 people on 2 different trains get nailed.

If you can afford the trip to Italy, spend the money on the train fares. There's no cheaper method unless you want to hitchhike.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

If your top priority is the low cost, try going by bus -- this involves a change in Siena, i.e. you take one bus from Rome to Siena and another from there to Milan. Still, they have rock bottom prices if you buy on line ahead of time -- www.senabus.it -- like 20 euro one way on March 15 for example, as I have just found out.

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
57 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone suggest a cheap way for reaching Rome from Milan

Thank you for your warnings, but travelling to Italy is one thing, and travel for absurdity prices for trains it is the second. I was thinking, that price for trains to Rome will be about 30 EUR to one side. That would be acceptable for us. But paying 63 EUR for one side is a robbery in the middle of the day :( We are travelling 7 people and everybody said, that the price of 126 EUR for visiting Rome for 2 days is disaster. By the way, very interesting thing - yesterday I saw a night train to Rome only for 32.5 EUR. Today I can't find this train for that price. Strange... Departure should be on 11th of March, maybe someone could help?

Travelling by bus is not acceptable, because it goes on daytime. We would prefer to travel to Rome during night period. But thanks for your help.

P.S. 2 weeks before we were in Venezia Carnival. And all transport was for free during those 4 days including waterbuses. We saw no conductors at all in waterbuses and buses going to Venice. First day we were buying tickets, but after this experience, we were cancelling doing that and we saved a lot of money, because water transport is not so cheap in Venice. But if we will compare water bus prices with train prices in Italia, travelling with waterbuses are almost for free.