We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Rome to Milan

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Topic
How to get from Rome to Milan

I cannot book it through trentitalia online for some reason. I found a good ticket there for about 44Euro. Is there another way i can get a train that cheap?....i really dont wanna fly

Melbourne
Level Contributor
218 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Rome to Milan

Sydneynick is our resident expert on train travel throughout Italy, and without overstepping the mark, I believe he would tell you that you will be unable to book your ticket online with a non-Italian issued credit card, and also that you should be able to purchase the ticket when you are in Rome, quite easily.

He also recommends not bothering with first class, second class is so similar that the extra fees don't warrant it.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
924 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Rome to Milan

I know many do not agree with me, but I do believe the extra for first class is warranted.

There is an ongoing personal debate.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Rome to Milan

Hi blue_horizon

I guess you are looking at the promotions that Trenitalia offers. As been posted many times on TA, very difficult to purchase on-line

It is a tremendous deal since the going rate is 89 euro 2nd class for that route. It is stated that it is for limited number of seats.

However, there is someone who posted that they were able to purchase train tickets from an agency in LA and they said they were charged the same price as shown on Trenitalia. This said that they called the travel agency (they lived in TX) and had the tickets shipped to them.

could always try that

here's the list

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

good luck!

Edited: 29 April 2010, 22:19
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,979 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Rome to Milan

If your emphasis is on 'cheap', and don't fancy flying, you don't have many options, as walk-up fare on high speed trains (which would basically the only ones available to you) are not cheap at all.

You could use a combination of regional trains, as throughly discussed in a couple of fairly heated recent threads that I'm sure you can retrieve. through the 'search' function, or you could travel by bus. There are two bus operators on this route: www.senabus.it/ita/activenews.asp… has two daytime departures(with a change in Siena) that you can book ahead on line for as little as 25 euro. Takes about 8 hours. www.ttiviaggi.it/napoli_roma_milano.htm has one direct bus that takes about 7 hours and costs 40 euro.

5. Re: How to get from Rome to Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 05:18