We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Rome byTrain

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Rome byTrain

I will be arriving to Milan Malpinsa at 7am and I plan to take the train to Rome by e-booking through trentitalia.com (thanks to tripadvisor's advice!).

what will I need in addition to the ticket printout ? should it be validated before boarding?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,613 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

If the ticket is for a reserved seat on a specified train, it does not need to be validated. Just get on board.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

Thank you!

Is 1st class worth the extra cash?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

After my first train trip in "y" class, I have always travelled in First Class when taking the train in Italy. For me, it is worth it. If you're not decided, book a regular ticket then walk through the train and the First Class section while it is on the go. Then you can decide. I recommend First Class.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

I really don't know what namsham is talking about; maybe he hasn't been on a train in Italy in a long time. The modern trains in Italy have so little difference between 1st and 2nd class that most people couldn't even tell the difference. *Somtimes* there is a little extra space in 1st class, but sometimes the carriages are identical. I've recently had two round trips to Rome on ES trains, and on all four trains, my 2nd class carriage had the configuration of 1st class cars. *Sometimes* they will give you a complementary newspaper (in Italian) or a complimentary coffee in 1st class, but the times I've taken 1st class, I didn't even get these. In any case, the newspaper and coffee wouldn't justify the 30% additional cost.

I travel by train frequently in Italy, and I take 1st class only on the very rare occasions that 2nd class is sold out, or if there is a special discount available only in 1st class that makes the prices almost the same.

You can see the inside of some trains of various categories on my web album:

…google.com/bellemarche/TrainsPlanesAndMetros

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
939 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

This is a very very personal ongoing debate.

I too travel often on trains in Italy and prefer first class.

For me the extra is worth it.

We all have different needs.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

Often all the difference is in upholstering of the seats (like, cloth in 2nd and ersatz leather in 1st). Plus, of course, there are more free seats in the 1st class - precisely because there is so little difference.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

On the trains I took back and forth to Rome recently, there were nine carriages, of which one was first class and eight were second class. Even so, the first class car was nearly empty on these trains. That's an indication of how much Italians value first class. In fact, I recently read (on this forum) that Trenitalia is talking about getting rid of first class altogether, and replacing it with a fee-for-service system where you would pay extra for an internet connection and other goodies.

The carriages I rode in on my two recent trips were originally 1st class carriages, so the upholstery and seating were identical. I think they had been downgraded for various reasons. Once I rode in second class, but with a first class carriage, where my tray table sagged to one side. I wondered if they had downgraded the carriage because of that. All of the other tray tables (that I saw) in the carriage seemed OK.

8. Re: Milan to Rome byTrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:16