We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinq Terre and Genova

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cinq Terre and Genova

Hi guys,

Help please. Do you think I could do Cinq Terre and Genova in a day ' tomorrowù. Could you please give me detail instructions as what to do since I am in Milan now and dont know what I should be doing. Going to see Verona today and Milan tonight. Leaving Milan at 7pm tomorrow.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

You cannot reasonably see Genova and the Cinque Terre in a day trip from Milan. The train trip from Milan to the Cinque Terre (via Genova) takes at least 3.5 hours. So your day trip would involve sitting in a train for more than 7 hours, which leaves very little time to see anything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

If you have to do this in one day, just go to Cinque Terre - as said above, you will be spending 7 hours on the trains plus the time getting to and from the Milan train station.

3. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 14:46
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

The direct trains from Milan to Monterosso take around three hours, and if you leave on the 06.05 you can be there at 09.02. Journeys to the other four Cinque Terre villages take longer as they always require a change of train. See www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html for details.

To spend at least 1.5 hours less on trains for a return day-trip, only go as far as Santa Margherita Ligure if you want a smaller place, with easy access to good walking and spectacular coastal scenery on the Portofino peninsula.

Or just visit Genoa - only 1 hour 40 minutes by InterCity trains, or two hours by the cheaper Regional trains, all direct. There is plenty to see www.turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php?lang=en

Because you are leaving Milan at 7pm, I really do not think the Cinque Terre is possible. Santa Margherita might be, just, but you would still have to leave at 15.39 to get back to Milan at 17.55. But if by 'leaving Milan' you mean taking a flight somewhere, you might be wise to attempt none of these options as day trips, and simply explore Milan further instead.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
550 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

I was in Genova and Cinque Terre last summer and agree with the other posters that trying to combine both in one day will not be feasible. If you only have time for one, Cinque Terre is nice and relaxing. Genova is ok, but definitely much less scenic.

Train connections in the Cinque Terre area are often delayed, so do keep this in mind as well

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

I was planning to catch the train at 7:25pm back to Lausanne but tickets seems to be sold out on the ticket booths since I couldn't buy from there for 20th but the 21st?

Would you guys suggest just Cinq Terre? Or Genoa, Vigevano, and Milan + other suggestions for the day?

Edited: 20 September 2010, 01:34
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
550 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

If you like the outdoors (walking, trails), small villages and so on, Cinque Terre should be your #1 choice (especially if the weather is expected to be good).

Genova is ok and preferable if you want more of a "city" feel. Milan has more has far as shopping is concerned, and has a few sights. It really depends what you're after!

8. Re: Cinq Terre and Genova

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2011, 06:32