We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Milan As a Base

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Using Milan As a Base

We're [Mum & DD20] coming to Milan for a concert on July 12th, but flight prices have doubled and some since I last looked, for making a long weekend out of the trip, and getting to see a bit of Milan too, we're on a tight budget though. Now we're thinking of staying in Milan 8 nights, gets our flights back to orginal price. We can stay at the Best Western Hotel Berlino for the 8 nights for about 350EUR with free breakfast. Then we were thinking of doing maybe 2-3 full days in Milan, then doing day trips to places such as Como, Bergamo, Cremona, Sirmione and Mantova, the train seem relatively cheap and under an hr journeys -- will the prices stay the same come July? Is 2nd class fine to ride in?

The only thing now though I've realized in the BW hotel is near the San Siro stadium, and according to google maps it will take us an hr via public transport to get to Milan Central Station, is this right? Is there a better way? Something I'm missing.

What do you think?

Thanks

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Milan As a Base

It's not so tragic... a few minutes on tramway 1 from your hotel to reach cadorna station (train for Como) and 20/30 min on bus 90 to go to central station.

And, yes, 2nd class on trains is fine.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Milan As a Base

You're not in an ideal area but you are paying a good price. 2nd class train is fine but if you check out the 1st class fares there's not much difference.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Milan As a Base

go ahead, the hotel is dirt cheap for Milan and it's not such a long way, obviously there's not a lot around there, to see the real Milan you'll need to go to the centre, but it's ok. And via public transport it should not be so far to get to Centrale, I'd say max 30 mins.

4. Re: Using Milan As a Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 01:17