We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

houston
Level Contributor
138 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

We are flying into Milan on a Monday when the Last Supper is closed. Spending 2 nights in Varenna and then going on to Venice. Is it doable to travel from Varenna into Milan train station before noon, check bags in at station, get to Last Supper and then head back to train station to continue on to Venice AND arrive by 4pm? Any suggestions on the best way to get to the Last Supper from train station (ie. taxi, bus?)

I originally wanted to stay in Milan one night to not be so rushed, but from Venice we continue to Florence and it would put us there on the days where many of their museums are closed...

I'm ambitiously trying to fit a LOT into this, our first trip to Italy. For my husband, the Last Supper is a priority, even if we can only squeeze that one thing out of Milan!

We will be traveling in October...thanks for any advice!

-Betty

United States
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

In order to get to Venice by 4:00 pm (16:00), you would have to take the 13:05 train leaving from Milano Centrale. So working backwards, you could leave Varenna on one of the early trains 7:37 arriving 8:40 or 8:37 arriving 9:40 and have more than enough time to get to the Last Supper and then back to the station. There is a 9:06 train arriving at 10:40 but I think that would be cutting it close for me.

The next thing would be getting a reservation for the Last Supper that would fit into the time frame.

TAB

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

the train from Varenna to Milan depart every two hours and takes 1 hour. The train from Milan to Venice takes at least 2 1/2 hours. (those trains depart every hour) You would have to keep a close eye on the time and the train schedule.

From the train station you can take a taxi or the metro.

It is possible but it will depend on what time slot is available on your day of travel. It is probably too early to book tickets so you will not be able to plan the whole day out.

good luck!

houston
Level Contributor
138 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

Thank you both for the advice; keeping fingers crossed that this can work!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

It can be done, hopefully you'll be able to get tickets for the last supper though.

5. Re: Varenna-Milan (Last supper only) to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 16:17