We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train information

tel aviv
Level Contributor
38 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Train information

we will be traveling in July by train from Milan to Venice, then a few days later from Venice to Florence and then from Florence to Rome.

Should we purchase the tickets in advance? purchase a rail pass? or just buy the tickets on the spot when we get there?

Are there different types of trains? if one doesn't speak or read Italian is it hard to distinguish?

Thanks

Julie

nyc
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train information

You will not need to get a rail pass. You can buy Mini (discounted) tickets now at trenitalia.com if you know your dates of travel. The website is available in English.

This link contains useful info on trenitalia.com booking: roninrome.com/transportation/booking-on-the-…

Edited: 14 June 2011, 12:56
tel aviv
Level Contributor
38 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train information

thank you!

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train information

As long as you are sure of your dates and time the Mini option is the way to go imo.

You can get over 50% off the price of a normal ticket by booking early.

You need to register at the trenitalia before you buy tickets, but its easy enough.

All you do is print the ticket they will send to your e.mail address, then show it to a ticket inspector when your on the train.

tel aviv
Level Contributor
38 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train information

Thanks. If I am booking for my daughter and her friends, does it matter if I register in my name? can i pay in advance with my visa?

tel aviv
Level Contributor
38 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train information

Is it possible to travel by train from the Milan airport directly to Venice or do you need to go frirst to the central station in Milan?

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train information

you will need to go from Milan Airport to Milano Centrale for the train to Venice

7. Re: Train information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 01:17