We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Bern-Swiss Pass

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Bern-Swiss Pass

On our vacation we'll be going from Venice to Bern via Milan. I've done some 'dry runs' using the ticket buying process from the Italian Rail site. Seems easy enough, but I have one question.

From Milan to Bern you can use the Swiss Pass and get a discount, they actually ask for your Pass ID # when you make the reservation. It gives you a great discount.

So my question is, I know the Swiss Pass has to be validated before using (we'll have a 4 day pass), but how do I do that in Italy? They'll have my Swiss Pass number via the reservation, is that good enough or will I have to get it validated in Milan? We have an hour layover there so that would be possible but I'd like to know before I go.

Thank you.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,184 reviews
from US$160.80*
Lake Como Day Tour, Bellagio or...
1,441 reviews
from US$98.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,777 reviews
from US$86.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Small-Group Milan...
1,103 reviews
from US$87.20*
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Bern-Swiss Pass

Double check the fine print before you purchase your pass - generally, the National passes apply only to rail travel within that specific country. As we post regularly, a pass isn't a smart purchase in Italy where the fares are much cheaper than in the rest of Western Europe. Also, double check all the Swiss trains you wish to ride. Several of the Swiss alpine trains are privately owned, and aren't covered by the Swiss Rail pass.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Bern-Swiss Pass

I believe you have to get it validated in Milan, so it is OK after Domodossola which is where the Swiss Pass kicks in if you are buying a GA Switzerland ticket from trenitalia.

If you need an extra day on your Swiss Pass, you will find that the 'Smart' advance booking fare gives you almost as good a discount without your having to use a pass day.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Bern-Swiss Pass

Thanks for replying. 1bcttraveler - since the italian rail website is asking me if I have a Swiss Pass and wants the number...I'm assuming they're ok with my trip starting in Italy. I have no plans to buy an italian pass, doesn't seem like a good deal. Also, I do know that there are private trains that don't take the pass...it is a maze...

perilizia - yes, it does seem likely I'll have to validate the pass in Milan, my Italian language skills are not good so I'll hope I can find someone who knows english! We're only spending 3 full days in Switzerland and the lowest swiss pass amount you can get is for 4 days so using the pass for this segement makes sense.

Thanks again.

4. Re: Milan to Bern-Swiss Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 00:19