We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

I am arriving in Milano on 9th June Saturday by flight at 4 pm and plan to leave for Venezia early next day. I would ideally like to stay more but can't due to time and itinerary constraints.

After reading on the subject of travelling from Malpensa to Central I have concluded that its probably best to take the train.

I am looking for a hotel in the range of £100 that is walking distance from the Stazione Centrale. Any recommendations??

I just have an evening to spare in the city so what should I probably do in that one evening?? (Go see the Duomo for sure)

Thanks in advance.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

In June you should get the Hilton for that, it's next door to the station.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

The Hilton is for £130 per night. I want to limit my budget spending per night as I am on a month long europe tour so I guess looking for other alternatives.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

I have found a decent hotel under €100 called hotel Florida. The reviews are decent but many state that the area around at night is not safe. Any views??

Any other recommendation for hotels under €100 walking distance from the stationn??

Thanks.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

It's very difficult to find here recommendations more effective than the ones you may have reading TA hotel reviews.

We (Milan Destination Experts) live here, so we never go to an hotel...

Anyway, all the area around Stazione Centrale is not exactly the best for safety, but it's not the bronx... I never had any problem, simply watch out for beggars and pickpocketers

Edited: 23 March 2012, 10:01
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

<We (Milan Destination Experts) live here, so we never go to an hotel...> Absolutely agree with you.

Will just do some more research on my own. I was actually tempted to post this question about accommodation as I was overwhelmed by the choices available.

<Anyway, all the area around Stazione Centrale is not exactly the best for safety, but it's not the bronx... I never had any problem, simply watch out for beggars and pickpocketers>

Does this mean that its no trouble getting back to the hotel near the station late in the night except the fact that we need to be alert to pickpocketers?

I hope there are no cases of mugging or violence against tourists...

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

How can I say... it's a train station with thousands of persons coming and going... It's neither a shopping nor an upper residential area. Milan as a whole is a very safe city, probably better than London or Paris, however if I were a pickpocketer I would go there. Again, no violence on tourists as far as I know, simple common sense about walking in small alleys at night near a big station.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

Hello All,

There has been a slight change in my itinerary. I will be landing in Milan on the 8th of June at 6PM and leave for Venice on the 10th morning.

I have narrowed down a few hotels too including Hotel Adi Doria Grand, Hotel Marconi, Hotel Florida, Ibis Milan Centrale, Four Points Sheraton & BW Madison.

This plan ideally leaves me a day to explore Milan i.e. 9th June saturday. I plan to do the usual must sees like Duomo, La Scala, Last Supper etc.

My questions are as follows:

- Which is a better hotel in terms of area, location, distance from the Centrale Station?

- What can I do on the evening I reach considering that by the time I settle into my hotel it will be 8PM?

- Is it worth taking the HOHO bus tour of Milan?

- What is the cost of tram and metro tickets? What time do they stop operation?

- I wanted to buy a SIM card for my phone so can you guys suggest one with a data plan for my blackberry? I plan to be in Italy for about 12 days.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your advice.

Belfast N. Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

Some very interesting question there - I'll subscribe in the hope of replies.

The only one I have an answer for is a €5 24 hour bus & tram ticket was mentioned in a hotel review I read. Possibly the Berlino, which seems like it is favourite for me (similar situation - arrive late evening by train, the leave next day at lunchtime from Bergamo).

Good luck with answers & your travels!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

I agree! I just booked that hotel too!!! Hilton...

Edited: 28 March 2012, 00:06
Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Night in Milano - Accommodation and Sightseeing??

I don't want to shuffle your plans, but, provided you will stay two nights in Milan does it still make sense to stay at "walking distance" from the station? I mean, with no more than 10 euro you can confortably sit in a taxi (even better if you arrive in Cadorna station from Malpensa) that will bring you in any duomo-walking distance hotel, without having to drag your luggage in the huge central station area and then worrying about the safety at night. I mean, even the Hilton is a good walk with an heavvy luggage, why all this pain? I can understand if it's a single night or if you are on budget and you want to stay in some low cost hotel easier to find close to the station than to the center, but staying two night and saving 10 euro taxi ending up at the Hilton... Well...

If you find a decent hotel in the center (check the map, Milan plan is like a tree cut, the center is any place within the inner circle) once you've left your luggage you can walk with a map to any attraction/nightlife/busy spot without need to take public transport and in perfect safety no matter how late it is...

Ah, and no, imho the Ho-ho bus it's not a good choice, Milan is hidden, not "in your face", so from a bus you risk to see less than you can see walking. If you really want to max out your visit take a private guide or plan the itinerary, but not the bus.