We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

We have just purchased tickets for La Scala in June! Now for some advice on a special place to go afterwards. Where is the most atmospheric place to go for supper and a glass of champagne after the performance? I look forward to replies, thank you.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

I think the Champagne bar at the Hotel De La Ville is quite a good place to go to after La Scala. It is literally a 5 min walk from La Scala too.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

Thanks for that suggestion – it does look nice and I will note it. I was thinking there might be the traditional post-opera bar or restaurant that people love to go to after the opera. We don’t want dinner, more a drink to unwind, some snack type, light food and a traditional atmosphere. For example, last year in Paris after a performance at Theatre Chatelet, we went to Le Zimmer next door:

http://www.lezimmer.com/

I welcome more comments, thank you. So thrilled to have the tickets!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

What a memory you will have.

Cheers

Lynn

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

You will have a super time and yes, you are lucky to have tickets!!

STRESa

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

I have to say that "after scala" is one of Milan weak points. I often grumbled about the scarcity of interesting places around the theatre coming out from an opera. The fact is that the usual after Scala in past times was in Galleria, but nowadays no milanese will eat a single bit of food there, knowing that it houses the only real tourist traps in town.

So...

1) If it's open you may have your champagne and some nice food at Trussardi bistrot, just on the right outside theatre.

2) A scenic option is the Armani hotel: on the left, 300 mt, enter without fear (there is nothing apparent in the lobby) and then elevator to top floor. Very good club sandwich there and chance to see vip's

3) victoria restaurant: hidden, on the right of the theatre, the second on the right again in via Clerici. Decent food and decor but it's a standard restaurant, so no champagne.

4) on the left, straight to via Verdi, it's a little walk but it starts Brera area with good nightlife and a good selection of places open late.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
191 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

Your choices depend also on the length of the performance. A ballet will end early and most restaurants will have the kitchen open. A possible place might be Trussardi or Mobu (Japanese).

If on the other hand it's Wagner then it will be late and choices are limited. Ranarita will probably be open but it's a bit far and not very romantic.

Biffi Scala is a tradition but l have not been there in 10 years so l have no idea how it is now.

Another traditional was Santa Lucia, but we dropped it a long time ago.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

Thank you all for these suggestions - I will now do some research into these. I know we will feel like having a glass of champagen to unwind after this very special experience! What a day - tickets to the Last Supper in the morning are booked too! We are looking forward to iour 3 nights in Milan very much. Thank you again.

8. Re: After La Scala: where to go for supper and champagne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:16