We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice place for lunch in centre

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
713 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Nice place for lunch in centre

Hi

my parents in their 60s will be on their own in Milan for the day. They will probably stay in the centre around the Duomo area. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where they can sit down, people watch and have a nice lunch without being rushed? Ideally not too expensive.

Apart from the Rinascente is there any other big department store they can look around?

Also is it easy to find public toilets in the centre?

Other ideas of what they can do during the day would be appreciated.

Thanks

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice place for lunch in centre

I suggest you to use TA search options for the restaurants (just select "centro storico" as area and the other queries).

It's easy to find a toilet, just enter the most luxurious hotel ;-) and all Milan is full of shops, so they will have more than Rinascente to see...

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice place for lunch in centre

I'm 56 and in Milan on business for a week. I've had two wonderful cheap lunches in a little pizzeria just next to Teatro Picollo near the Lanza underground station. The address is 9 Corso Garibaldi and it's 5 minutes from Duomo. They have an old fashioned meat cutter and will put 'crudo" extra ham on any pizza. They have an English translation of the menu available. I was the only non-Italian in there. I think the name was something like "Central". Can't find it on TA to review it. The pannacotta was to die for!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice place for lunch in centre

The restaurants around the Duomo area are all very expensive so it depends if they prefer to pay a high price and people watch or go a few streets back and pay more reasonable prices. The Pizzeria Dogana, just off Via Mazzini isn't one of the cheapest options but also not as expensive as others and there are usually quite a few Italians having lunch there. If you google it you can check out their website.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice place for lunch in centre

Also, the Rinascente has toilets on 2 floors so I would head there. The other department store is Oviesse in via Spadari, it sells cheaper brands and is much smaller, whereas the Rinascente is much bigger and sells all the big name brands.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice place for lunch in centre

I always take lunch on the top floor of La Rinascente.... They have a super restaurant outdoors on the terrace overlooking the cathedral.... Take the top-floor-only lift that is in the side street at the end of the building as you walk towards direction of Via Montenapoleone. Great food, super view of the statues on top of the duomo and good people watching...and clean lavatories!

STRESA

6. Re: Nice place for lunch in centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:16