We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

We are driving through Italy to the UK and would like to stay in a small town with a good fast train connection to Milan centre. eg. Bergamo, Sirmione. Jane

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Where are you coming from?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Bergamo is quite nice, Sirmione is a bit farther away and the station is not exactly in town, also Cremona is nice and pretty and not too far from Milano.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Piacenza has similarity with Bergamo about population and extension.

Frequent trains leave to Milan arriving within an hour.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

We are driving from Umbria back to the UK and would like to stay somewhere simple to reach, stay and park the car with good train connection to Milan.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Certosa di Pavia is small, unique, and has trains every 30 minutes serving several stations in central Milan which take around 30 minutes.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 11:57
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Certosa di Pavia is a good idea and the certosa itself (a Carthusian charterhouse) is very beautiful.

I also like Lodi (about 40000 inhabitants), and about half an hour from Milan by train. It has a beautiful central piazza and some lovely old churches.

Abbiategrasso is a bit smaller, with a more "small-town" feel than Lodi, and it's even closer, about 15 minutes by train. We spent several days in an agriturismo just outside Abbiategrasso while doing a bike tour of the canal paths in the vicinity.

In the course of that bike tour, we visited Vigevano, which is larger than Lodi, but has one of the most beautiful piazzas I've ever seen. I can't speak much for the rest of the town, because we saw little (or else I remember little) other than the piazza. The train from Vigevano to Milan takes about 20 minutes.

Another very interesting little town we visited on the bike tour was Casinetta di Lugagnano, a small village very near Abbiategrasso. There are many beautiful villas in this town, built by wealthy Milanese families in the 19th and early 20th centuries as summer homes, which they reached by canal from Milan. There is no train station in Lugagnano, but if you stayed in the vicinity, you could use the station at Abbiategrasso.

You might want to look at my web album of photos I took on the bike tour:

https:/…

I don't seem to have any pictures of Abbiategrasso itself, which is a pity, as it was a very nice town with a castle in the center.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

I would say Bergamo.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Would you recommend anywhere to stay?

The places you listed sounded wonderful.

Jennifer

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

I'm not sure who you asked about places to stay. The time I visited Certosa di Pavia, we were staying in Pavia, which I don't think is what you're looking for. In Lodi, we were visiting friends and stayed in Milan. In Abbiategrasso we stayed at an agriturismo called I Leprotti, which also has a spa, which we didn't use, although after a day of cycling maybe we should have! They also sell local organic products. We liked the place, and the owner was very nice. However, I have nothing to compare it to in the area. Here is their website, which is only in Italian:

http://agriturismo.leprotti.com

You can get a rather garbled translation by pasting the above URL into translate.google.com . The name of the agriturismo means "The Hares", and google has translated it, without even keeping the name in upper case, which adds to the confusion.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small town with good train connection to the centre of Milan

Hi!

Treviglio certainly has nothing to compare with the places they have suggested but if all you want to do is sleep in the village and then go to Milan it is a good solution because there's a train every 15 - 20 min to one of Milan's stations. It's a 30 -40 min journey.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

www.comune.treviglio.bg.it/…

There's a hotel with a car park in the railway station square.

Bye :)