We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Milan. Where to stay

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One night in Milan. Where to stay

We will be in Milan for one night (June 7). We will be taking the train to Zurich late in the day on the 8th. Would you recommend staying near Milan Centrale station or near the Duomo? How far away is the train station from Duomo? We don't want to be hassling with luggage if it is tough getting from the train station to the hotel. Thanks

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Milan. Where to stay

Hi Cindy, Don't be surprised none of "destination experts" haven't answered you yet. They haven't answered but one of my questions either. Not like most of the other Italian forums, ie, Roma, Napoli. Anyway if you want my advice that I can tell you through research only is that the area around the train station would be optimal as far as luggage goes, but it is a little sketchy, especially the side streets. I am sure it is not as bad as the area around the train station in Napoli, Mama Mia!!! The area around the Napoli train station is scary in the day time and talk about garbage,,,, but that is another forum. You can always taxi to a hotel in a better area. I believe it is moderately long walk from the station to the Duomo, between 15-30 minutes. If you stay in a hotel near the station you will probably be fine in the daytime, just scamper home at night or take a taxi....For one night that is what I would do. If you are not leaving until the afternoon of the next day, find a place with luggage storage. (Why all the luggage anyway?) I could teach a course in packing light for all occasions. Leave room for some shopping.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Milan. Where to stay

Thanks for your response. We did find a hotel near the train station with easy access to other transportation. We lived in Europe for three years but never made it to Milan. My husband has a business trip starting in Venice and ending in Zurich so Milan was just an add-on. I think he was trying to entice me to make the trip with him! Not enough time to do more than wander a bit. We do miss Europe, especially the churches and architecture.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Milan. Where to stay

Hi Cindy

as I understand you'll arrive from Venice and leave destination Zurich, so the hotel close to the central station seems to me a good option. Have a look here tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-s301/Milan:It… (Luggage storage) in case your hotel is not keeping your suitcases before you leave on the 8th.

What about a lovely romantic dinner on an old tramcar for the 7th evening? :)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-c114322/Milan…

regards and enjoy Milan!

4. Re: One night in Milan. Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 07:18