We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

Hi everyone-

We (husband, 3 year old daughter and me) are planning a weekend in Milan coming from Geneva - would you recommend driving or taking the train? Is it easy to find somewhere to park our car in the city for the weekend if we do drive?

Thanks.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,172 reviews
from US$157.19*
Lake Como Day Trip from Milan
1,429 reviews
from US$96.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,881 reviews
from US$84.08*
Likely To Sell Out
Best of Milan Experience Including Da...
175 reviews
from US$121.86*
Milano
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

Parkings in the center are expensive, if you say where are you staying I may suggest a parking nearby.

There are also parkings outside the center (http://www.atm-mi.it/it/ViaggiaConNoi/Auto/Pagine/ParcheggiStruttura.aspx - the english version of the site is not that good) close to the tube.

In my opinion if you manage to stay only in Milan town train would be better, public transports are good and cover extensively the all town.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

We are likely booking the Best Western Galles and it does seem much cheaper to drive than take the train for the 3 of us. Could you recommend a place to park? We are fine with parking outside the city and taking the metro in? We will be there for 3 nights.

Thanks.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,796 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

Whether it is cheaper to drive depends very much on whether you book train tickets far enough in advance to get the cheap advance tickets offered by www.sbb.ch - at 26 CHF each way for adults between Geneva and Milan, the total paid if you get these fares could be very much less than the driving cost.

Because of the high tolls when driving, particularly through the Mont Blanc tunnel, you could well end up paying over 300 CHF in fuel and tolls for the return journey. The much slower route over the Simplon Pass would be much cheaper, but still around 150 CHF.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

We aren't early enough so train tickets were 80chf each way. Question though - what are the tolls like once in Italy? That was the only piece I didn't know. Our car is pretty fuel efficient so gas isn't so bad.

Thanks.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

Aosta-Milano 29 euros one way

See:

autostrade.it/autostrade/ricercaPercorso.do…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,796 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

For total tolls for any journey see www.viamichelin.com - note that this site's costs include the Swiss highway vignette which you will already have, but it does price this separately as 'tax' so you can deduct it from the total.

Edited: 26 May 2013, 08:15
Milano
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

In front of your hotel (via ozanam) there is a parking but mostly dedicated to the residents. I suppose they may give you indications as it seems the hotels of the area have reserved places.

Alternatively i would use the parking lampugnano (see the link to atm website of my previous post) that is close to the motorway and from there underground n.1 direction sesto gettin out at lima stop.

There are other parkings at more or less 1 km fron your hotel (vittor pisani or loreto) see garage2000.it.

Your hotel is really conveniently located, close to center, shops, park (giardini montanelli) or very close to piazzale bacone gardens for the kids.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

Thank you all for the tips! I can't wait for our visit.

9. Re: Weekend from Geneva- drive or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17