We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan - Off the beaten track

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Milan - Off the beaten track

Hi,

I have 3 days planned for Milan. Would appreciate if anyone can share any quaint or peculiar sights/restaurants/activities to do in Milan? I know Milan is an all classy, atas place. Just wondering if there are other unique characteristics hidden under the carpet!

Thanks!

Regards,

Panda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan - Off the beaten track

Oh, do try the Poldi Pezzoli museum. We had never heard of it but it is the house of an extremely rich man who could collect what he wanted and did just that. Don't miss the laces, fans and fabrics kept in black cabinets and drawers in one of the early rooms. I suspect many people do not know to open them and look. So, netsuke, clocks and watches, arms and armour, fabrics and laces, ceramics, glass, coins.

http://www.museopoldipezzoli.it/en/node/68

The network of canals around Milan is amazing. They used to be for carrying goods and are mostly disused these days, except by the fishermen. If you head out to the amazing monastery complex of the Certosa di Pavia you will see the canals and poplar trees making a gorgeous picture. The Certosa is also well worth a visit. In town, the canals run through the lively Navigli district, lots of restaurants and clubs.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan - Off the beaten track

The suggestion of Navigli is very good, for instance you could see the Vico Lavandai, an alley which looks quite quaint and rural, there is also a little water mill where people went to do laundry ("lavandai" means "washer people").

Other idea may be the little church Santa Maria presso San Satiro, almost hidden among the trendy shops and the crowd of Via Torino, with a surprising effect of "trompe-l'oeil".

I liked a much also the Museo del Risorgimento, but unless you are particularly interested in Italian history I wouldn't suggest it.

And three days are basically enough to visit Milan. You could take advantage to do a day trip to a near town, for instance Bergamo is amazing, the older town is in a picturesque location on a mountain, and it is much quieter and country-like than Milan.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan - Off the beaten track

Hi both,

Oooh, I love the suggestions. I have jot them down. Thanks lots!!

Regards,

Panda

4. Re: Milan - Off the beaten track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:17