We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

midwest
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

We will have one day for a day trip out of Milan in September. We will not have a car, so public transportation is my only option.

I have already stayed at Lake Como in the past, so this time considering either Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore for a day trip (leaning towards Orta).

However, all my research shows that there is no direct connection between Milan and Lake Orta (say, Orta Orta San Giulio or any other place on the lake). Same for Lake Maggiore.

But even with indirect connections - what would be the best/fastest/less complicated way to get to Lake Orta from Milan? what about Lake Maggiore? And - which of these two lakes would be better for a day trip?

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

We have been up to mt. Mottarone which has view over 7 lakes including Orta, during clear days.

There is a cable car from Stresa, connected to Milan rail stations with Intercity or Frecce.

It is a very good spot to make photos and have a lunch at the Baita tasting polenta, venison, pork and beef stews.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,796 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

There are plenty of direct trains to Stresa on lake Maggiore, including express trains running non-stop. There are fewer direct trains to Baveno and Arona and to Verbania (where the station is not on the lake and is a long way from the tourist areas. If looking on the Trenitalia website, note that some of the trains leave from Milano Porta Garibaldi, and others from Milano Centrale.

Lake Orta is much harder to reach.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 08:23
NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

If it were me, I would just make it to Stresa for a day trip, visit a couple of the islands etc from there.

There is a bus from Stresa to Lake Orta that I tried to take last September, but stood at the bus stop for about 45 minutes at the time told to me by local residents and also the window person in the train station. It never came - apparently they had changed the schedule. So, I cannot say anything about the virtues of Lake Orta as I never made it, but that was my experience.

Bristol
Level Contributor
169 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

Lake Orta is beautiful but unless you went in every shop and museum I doubt if it would fill your day! That is if you ever got there by public transport!

Stresa is a much better bet, loads of sight seeing to do, easy to get to and from.

Enjoy!

5. Re: Milan to Lake Orta or Lake Maggiore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:21