We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

Hi! My husband & I are planning to take a train from Milan to Rome on October. Can anyone recommend what would be the most comfortable train to take from Milan Central Station to Rome that has porters to help with our luggages? This will be our first time to take a train in Europe so any suggestion or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

canada
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

In Europe, other than taking the Orient Express, don't expect any porters. Always bring amount of luggage which one can handle alone. We have been traveling for years with a 10 Kg carry-on each to last 4 weeks. On the other hand, watch out for people wanting to handle your bags, they will be glad to take them as their own. If you must have porters, bring your own.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

Milano Centrale and Roma Termini are two of the only four stations in Italy on which Trenitalia provides a porter service for people who do not have a disablity, providing you are using a Frecciarossa train which are their fastest and most comfortable trains between Milan and Rome.

For instructions on use, see www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Whether this service works efficiently I have no idea. Like most Europeans, I've never used a porter, and have never even noticed one in Europe in recent decades.

You could travel by air, and check your bags. But centre to centre, it's a slower and more difficult route.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

I wouldn't rely too heavily on porters as quite honestly I know that they offer this service but have never seen porters at Milan Central station.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

And note that the porters can only help you between station and train and vice versa. When meeting an arriving train, they will come to the platform (when you have booked the Freccia train, you will be able to tell them which coach you are in) and take you and your bags to the taxi rank; but for departures, I don't know whether they can wait for you at the taxi drop-off point or only at some central point inside the station. That means that you might still have to be prepared to carry your own bags at times, and it would be wise not to take more than you can comfortably handle yourselves,

If you use this service, it could be useful to come back here and say how it went!

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

Thanks for the tips. We will be coming from Manila & will be touring Europe for 3 weeks so our luggages will be about 25-30 kg each. Maybe, I will check out Trenitalia as we just want to be a bit adventurous & try the trains. If my husband & I do decide to try the porter service, I will definitely go back here & let everyone know :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

You don't need that much luggage: there are laundries in Italy.

We travel in Europe for 3 months with each of having 18 kg of luggage plus a carry-on.

Always take half the amount of luggage that you think you will need, and double the amount of money.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,487 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

With that amount of luggage, you'll be paying excess baggage fees on flights, too.

For Alitalia's internal flights from Linate, the normal limit is 23 kg.

EasyJet's limit is 20 kg, but you don't want to use EasyJet (or Alitalia's Malpensa flights) as the taxi fare alone to Malpensa airport is €90 and you can advance purchase the train from Milan to Rome for two for much less than that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

We always travel with around 20kg suitcases plus an overnight bag. I know, I know, but I just cannot cut it down, no matter how hard I try. I seem to still end up wearing the same half a dozen things, but I feel better having the rest with me.

We also use the trains, and manage with that, so long as your cases have very sturdy wheels and you can balance the overnight bag on top.

Would love, love, love to be one of the "pack light" people! I am going to stay overnight in the city this weekend and I will probably still have a small suitcase, never know what I will feel like wearing/

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

You might consider www.italotreno.it , which does not leave from Milano Centrale, but 2 other stations in Milan, and does not arrive at Roma Termini, but 2 other stations. It is a very nice train, and the young, pleasant employees have helped me get my luggage on and off the train.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Train from Milan to Rome with Porter Service

I realise that this is not current thread, but there's a recent blog post that has useful information on this topic that might be helpful to those looking for a porter: …blogspot.com/2013/08/porter-service-for-ita…

Regarding Milan station, there are quite a number of non-authorised people there who will transport your bags for you on hand trolleys of varying degrees of decrepitude. I don't know whether that's risky or illegal or not but they've been there for years and I suppose also in other big Italian railway stations.